upgrade advice for celeron m 420

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone give me some advice about upgrading my processor?

I curently have:

Packard Bell EASYNOTE MZ35-V-075-UK

processor:
celeron m 420 1.6 ghz

hard drive:
seagate 80gb
ST980811AS
2.5"
S-ATA
8mb cache

RAM:
894 mb but capable of supporting up to 2 x 1 GB DDR2 SO-DIMMs

motherboard/chipset:
ATI Radeon XPress 200M Chipset

I am going to stick in a 320 gb hard drive as i am nearly full of mp3s. While i am at it i thought i may as well upgrade to the maximum ram at 2gb. running vista ultimate i figured it could not hurt. the laptop is set up with a desktop upstairs which acts as server and download centre. the laptop mainly floats around and gets used for email, surfing the net and playing music. it is not highly demanding work, but i do sometimes use it for office applications and music and graphics manipulation. the hard drive and ram will cost around £80 and as i bought the machine for £100 figured it is worth while.

so the first question is, is it worth upgrading the processor?

if so, second question would be, what can the ATI radeon xpress 200m handle. the packard bell site states it supports celeron m 4xx. i would like to put something like a celeron dual core in if it would make much difference.

if it cant handle the dual core, would it be worth putting in something like the celeron m 450 at 2ghz?

any help will be much appreciated. ps this is my first ever post, so i hope i have done it right.

many thanks in advance.

Matt

Reaction score
MAt you need to make sure your motherboard has the equivilent to a ZIF (zero insertion Force) socket first

The motherboard maywell be able to support such a CPU however it maybe used for laptops a few months later than yours and the CPU maybe soldered to the board. If not then is common that a special removal tool is needed to stop damage

Reaction score
hmmm. i may have to take it in to a shop then. i will do the ram and hard drive and see how it runs.

thanks

Reaction score
further investigation

hi triplexdread

after some googling i have run hwinfo32. it seems i do indeed have a zif socket according to this. now, this is where my knowledge is getting stretched somewhat (so please bare with me), but this is what i have come to understand:

i have also found that i have a 533mhz fsb.

i am now trying to find what socket type the motherboard has but have been unable to get this info. as far as i can tell, the only celeron m 420s i can find on the net are for a 479 or 478 socket. HWinfo32 lists "socket designation: u23"

the packard bell website does not inlcude the socket type and i cant find a manual for this motherboard (HWinfo32 identifies it as "packard bell BV easynote mz35").

however, HWinfo32 also has the following information:

cpu platform: mPGA478 (micro-FCPGA)/mBGA479 (micro-FCBGA)

can you provide any further insight with this additional info?

If i can find the socket type, i should be able to find a suitable processor in conjunction with the fsb rating (and possibly a special tool if cpu is soldered). anyway, i think my understanding is right. i am thinly grasping any understanding of this topic and my head hurts somewhat now, so i will give this a rest. however, tommorrow this will probably make no sense at all to myself.

thanks again

Reaction score
I just used CPUID CPU-Z on my MZ35 (I didn't know it was MZ35 until CPU-Z told me!)

It said that the socket is 479 mPGA.

Where is the CPU in the machine? I have only covers for the RAM, WiFi and HDD.

I put in an Intel X-25 SSD and downgraded to win XP. It is one hell of a lot faster than when Vista was on it, and XP works fine.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
this thread is a wee bit old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question