Windows XP updating from windows 98 to windows xp

Reaction score
hi can anyone help i have recently got a new laptop which has windows xp and i have now given my old pc to my daughter i need to upgrade her pc from windows 98 to windows xp can anyone run me through what i need to do i only know basic computer stuff thanks:(

Reaction score
if your using an upgrade cd then put in in the cd and click install, although i would recommend starting a fresh, format the drive then install a full copy of XP, will work much better. also check that you can get the necessary drivers for xp for your hardware.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You can use an "up-grade CD" to do a clean install ... however, make sure first that the system is capable of running XP.

Mucks

Reaction score
hello emmadesombre

When you run the cd it will produce a report before installing
DON'T INSTALL YET!!

You will get a list (which you can print out) of software, drivers and hardware that might need updating.

Get all your drivers and software sorted out before you start the install proper.
Its easy to do while you have a running system (ie win98) - not so easy once you've started the install.

Once you've sorted the probs you can return and start the installation again.

You could save any updated drivers for XP in a special folder in My Documents where you can easily find them.

Happy computing

Ask a Question