update.inf use with update.exe and SP2 deployment

I am looking for better ways to deploy XP SP2 into production. I came across
an article that speaks about editing the file update.inf for SP2 deployment.
I am having a hard time locating any in depth information on how this file is
constructed and can be used. Any info would be great.

The MS KB was 887411

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2 using Software Update Services
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/xpsp2sus.mspx

Using Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Resources for IT Professionals
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I am looking for better ways to deploy XP SP2 into production. I came across
| an article that speaks about editing the file update.inf for SP2 deployment.
| I am having a hard time locating any in depth information on how this file is
| constructed and can be used. Any info would be great.
|
| The MS KB was 887411

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
That file is not intended to be edited or changed. That is the primary
installation file for the service pack.
Changes to that file could break service pack installations.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Interesting. The article I came across clearly shows the that the update.inf
can be edited. Why make this sort of available but then say don't do it?