unwanted computer connecting to internet

Reaction score
i am on a wired router with 2 computers using it. There is a 3rd that has been accessing my internet ive checked all around my house to see if anyone has ran a line to there house and cant find one.
Im running McAfee on both of the computer which is how i know hes connecting fairly regulary.
It gives me an IP so when i tried to see whos it was it went to a guy in california anyone know how to block unwated IPs on a wired router

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Block the addy with McAfee firewall. You could always report to the police as it is theft.

Reaction score
happytime said:
i am on a wired router with 2 computers using it. There is a 3rd that has been accessing my internet ive checked all around my house to see if anyone has ran a line to there house and cant find one.
Im running McAfee on both of the computer which is how i know hes connecting fairly regulary.
It gives me an IP so when i tried to see whos it was it went to a guy in california anyone know how to block unwated IPs on a wired router

I'm no expert on networks but it seems to me that if someone is using your wired router to connect to the internet at your expense then the IP they have will have been assigned to them by your router and will belong to your local network. On the other hand if they are already on the internet and remotely accessing your router from another IP address then you should be able to stop them by using the security (admin name and password) or even by specifying that remote administration is not allowed. A third possibility is that you have a trojan on one of your computers which is transmitting information to the IP address in california - but I would have thought that McAfee would have picked that up.

Reaction score
Some routers have a MAC address filter so that it only gives internet access to the computers with matching mac addresses. Thats the best security you can get really. (for your issue anyway)

Ask a Question