Unreal

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the Unreal series of games right up until Unreal Tournament 3, which I've come to the conclusion is a bit pants.

Despite paying full price for this turkey, it just hasn't got the same feel as it's predecessors and after trying real hard to like it I have to admit I don't like it.

But.

Bought 4 games yesterday in GAME high street store, in their '2 for £15.00' series.. They were:

Ravenhearst - a point and click time-waster thingie which kinda appealed to me, it's, um, so-so, one to chill to, nowt special.

Need For Speed Prostreet - have yet to load it and try it.

Race Driver GRID: Which I bought for my mate's new build, not for me cos I already got it.

and....

The Unreal Anthology.

For £7.50 you get:

The Original Unreal fps with Return To Na Pali Mission Pack

Unreal II: The Awakening, another fps

Unreal Tournament - The original.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - the last decent multiplayer/single player with bot game.

And they all work within Vista :thumb:

I've just played out the opening sequence in the first Unreal and although the graphics are a bit crap even at 1280 x 1024 the gameplay is good.

I do seem to prefer the gameplay of older games, mid nineties to about 2003 to me were the best games, the newer ones, imo, try too hard on presentation and seem to forget about gameplay.

I do remember the original Unreal single player went on for ever and ever and the gameplay was a bit repetitive but I am enjoying this game again, it's great :)

And The Awakening I only ever played once but I remember it being good so going to play it again.

I'm quite chuffed some old games are playing in Vista, we need more of this.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Need For Speed Prostreet - have yet to load it and try it.

I have it, but gave up trying to load it onto XP...10 million and one errors, I spent weeks on various forums trying to find a fix, but never got one..Installed on Vista and got it running after weeks of looking for patches etc on different forums etc, only for it to crash time after time, sometimes even before loading properly...Now I just play it On xBox 360 with my lil boy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I have it, but gave up trying to load it onto XP...10 million and one errors, I spent weeks on various forums trying to find a fix, but never got one..Installed on Vista and got it running after weeks of looking for patches etc on different forums etc, only for it to crash time after time, sometimes even before loading properly...Now I just play it On xBox 360 with my lil boy

Bugger. I'll post here how I get on with Vista.

I got your PM about Evolution - GT and I think I will be able to return it for a refund as it's still sealed and I got it from Makros, who are usually good about returns.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I i loved the original Unreal game - never got the chance to play the expansion though.

As for UT3.... I'm sure I've already told you it was 'pants' a long time ago! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
I i loved the original Unreal game - never got the chance to play the expansion though.

As for UT3.... I'm sure I've already told you it was 'pants' a long time ago! :D

You did sir, you did, as did several others on assorted forums ;)

I really did try hard with UT3 but somehow it didn't capture the feel of any of it's predecessors. And there are some parts I just don't understand tbh :confused:

I may just sell it, I even have the limited edition thingie in a big steel box.

Last night I played the first six Deathmatches in the original Unreal Tournament and I had forgotten just how good it was. Don't know why I ever got rid of it. The music, the taunts and the action all added up to one fine game.

I never did go online with the original, I didn't have Broadband then, but I may try online this time - if anybody is still playing it online - but I expect there will be a zillion and one mods and maps to download if it's still active.

And it works fine within Vista as well :thumb:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I tried to enjoy UT3 as well - but the game engine just doesnt go well with the gameplay style honestly... instead of looking likes its own game, it looks too much like Gears of War - which is a bad thing for UT

Ask a Question