Unreal Tournament 3 Doesn't work on vista? waste of cash?

Reaction score
Hey again!

May i firstly note that this is on behalf of a friend, but any details/advice i will ask him for no problem :)

Ok, recently he bought Unreal tournament 3 for the PC using Steam!
He bought it so that we could play it together... I have windows XP and it runs perfectly,

Since he bought the game, he has not been able to play it... why? we have NO idea.

This is the error message the comes up when he tries to start playing the game via steam:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1192/ut3n.jpg

I really would like any help you can give, this game is amazing and i want to play with my mate :mad:
Not only that but he payed about £20 for it i believe. :(

These are his system specs:

Intel Dual core 2.56 Ghz
Nvidia 9600 512mb
4GB ram
Windows Vista 64bit home premium

Thanks again in advance, i really appreciate all the help i've been given over time =D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The first thing I'd do is update the graphics card drivers and see if that helps. I've done some searching and people seem to have sucess with older 160.x series nVidia drivers (but they might have fixed it in the latest release so it's worth trying that first).

It looks like lots of people are having the same problem :(

Reaction score
Hmm, well i'll get him to update the drivers.

But is there a way of getting the older drivers, to make it work? Or is that not possible? (this is referring to if updating them doesn't work)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
UT3 works perfectly on Vista Home Premium for me.

The only difference is I bought the DVD and installed from disc.

I'm wondering if downloading from Steam made any difference.

And UT3 has also worked perfectly for me under at least the last three or four Nvidia video drivers.

Reaction score
Yeah, FBS, i can presume that it's not ALL windows vista OS's that dont work with UT3, otherwise something would have been done by now, 100%, yes?

But i know that there are ALOT of people with the same problem, and whether the link is steam, i am not sure.

But i'll try to keep posted here what happens, we are going through a series of ideas at the moment. :)

Reaction score
Ah, my friend had an option on steam called "verify integrity of game cache" and after clicking that... it miraculously worked.

I still can't believe that it was never said anywhere on any site i checked on how to do that ^^

Thanks for the help :) :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have that game too - for what ever reason it had a tendency to crash quite often, even after updated drivers and game patches.

Oh well, im sure im not missing anything :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
I have that game too - for what ever reason it had a tendency to crash quite often, even after updated drivers and game patches.

Oh well, im sure im not missing anything :D

The game has always worked flawlessly for me in Vista (see sig below).

However.

As detailed elsewhere on this forum, UT3 was a huge disappointment for me after thoroughly enjoying all it's predecessors :(

They messed up with UT3 imo, just doesn't have the same feel as the brilliant games that went before.

But, whatever, if it gets you off then good :)

Reaction score
hehe =P

I think, perhaps, that it was a good job i didn't play any of the predecessors ^^

Because I have the same feeling with GTA IV, i never really thought that it lived up to the quality of san andreas...
But i know alot of people think that GTA IV is the bomb, because they haven't played any of the other in the series.

I guess you'd only have that opinion of being "let down" if you have something (an older UT game) to base the quality on =D

For me I think UT3 is pretty awesome ^^

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
As detailed elsewhere on this forum, UT3 was a huge disappointment for me after thoroughly enjoying all it's predecessors :(

They messed up with UT3 imo, just doesn't have the same feel as the brilliant games that went before.

Quite honestly I think its the game engine that give it that feeling. It feels... ahh, stuffy? Its how it looks and the feeling of limited movement that give it that feel.

I guess?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dunno, can't quite put my finger on the reason why UT3 is under par compared to the games that went before (imo).

Online play is actually quite ok (though still not as good as previous UT's, imo) it's the single player game that let's it down.

Apart from the fact it's overly complicated, it just lacks that feelgood factor that all other UT games had, the way it just made you give a big silly smile ;)

I think they've probably exhausted a formula and tried too hard with UT3.

But. What it all comes down to is if folk are enjoying it then my opinion matters not a jot and good luck to them :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Yea, i suppose so - too bad i decided to blindly buy it rather than demo it first. Learning is half the battle!

Reaction score
hehe, i must admit the single player is a BIG letdown, even by my generally low standards (i'm easily pleased with games)

Although, when i'm home from exams and work, there's still something in UT3 that makes it an easy game to sit down and play for an hour or so :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
One problem i had with the single player is that it never saved. First play through i spent the better part of 3 hours on the SP and i saved the game ( or so i thought) , and i came back the next day only to find my self at the beginning. I really lost faith after that.

Ask a Question