Windows XP Unidentified Startup Item

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I recently looked into my system startup items in msconfig, and there is one entry there which has no description (blank) under the Startup Item and Command headings with the following listed under Location: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

All the other items have descriptions and their Location has HKLM\ prior to the SOFTWARE\ etc...

I have checked for Adware/Spyware/Viruses etc and I'm OK and everything works normally, I also unchecked the item within Startup and everything still seems to run fine without it - anyone got any ideas what it could be, and why there is no description?

Also I would like to try and delete it from the Startup permanently - can anyone tell me how?

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2.

Reaction score
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

that is what runs microsoft windows!

delete it if you want, your computer wont start.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I did disable it within startup and the PC ran fine......

I have also checked my Lappy and I dont have that unidentified entry within msconfig>Startup.

:confused:

Reaction score
OK, i checked mine, there is nothing with no name but most of my processes come from that location.

Maybe i was wrong then. seeing as everyhting from iTunes to Skype starts in there.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for looking KGB, if anyone else has any ideas what the item is, how I can identify it or delete it please let me know!:confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It is likely to be as a result of one of two things:

(1) A program install/uninstall has not completed properly and therefore not updated the registry "Run" keys. Looking at these registry keys may in some cases reveal an entry with a Name but no Data, others may have neither:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

Check these keys and see if there's an entry under Name and it may give a clue. As no program isn't being loaded in the Data column then the registry entry can safely be deleted. It's recommended that you read an article such as the Windows Guide Network one before modifying the registry.

(2) Disabling an entry in MSCONFIG hasn't updated the resgitry properly. If you check the registry keys you can often find one with a valid "Name" but no "Data"

(3) A virus or other maliscious piece of software has compromised the system. Many virusses modify various registry keys, including the "Run" keys.

This suggestion comes directly from an MS tech support person and they recommend you contact MS directly. Before doing so, make sure any virus scanners you have are using up-to-date virus definitions and perform a full system scan of all files.

(Note: HKLM refers to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKCU refers to HKEY_CURRENT_USER) ;)

:)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed reply Mucks - I have checked the Registry under HKCU etc and found it is my webcam - (WebCamRT.exe) it is named but has no data as you suggested.

I think I will leave it alone - Im just happy its not a nasty!

Thanks for the help:)

Ask a Question