Windows XP Changed MSCONFIG in order not to Load Startup Items... Now, I cannot log in (XP SP3)

Reaction score
Hello,

I edited MSCONFIG to use Selective Startup and uncheck LOAD STARTUP ITEMS.

Since I rebooted, I cannot login. When Windows starts up after I enter username and password, it logs off right away.

I tried in Safe Mode and get the same response..

Any suggestions?

At the least, I'd like to be able to switch msconfig to Normal Startup.

Thx

Cat

Reaction score
Can you remeber what things were starting up beofre you edited msconfig? Have you tried a repair install?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You might be able to get it working by using the "last known good config" option on the advanced startup list. :thumb:

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
  1. Start your computer.
  2. Keep pressing the F8 key, to bring up the boot menu.
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Reaction score
Last Known Good Configuration didn't do it..
As wizkid suggested, I was able to do a repair. When I tried logging back on again, I got the Blue Screen of Death.
I restarted windows in safe mode and made a backup of everything.

Now, I think my next step will be to do a complete re-install of XP... or maybe, a complete format of my hard drive.

Thx for your suggestions guys!

Reaction score
You could try enabling the msconfig start up items again in Safe Mode to see if you can log into Windows, do a few at a time. If that does not work then it looks like the best way is to reinstall and reformat the hard drive.

Others may have other ideas though, but that's what I would do.

Regards

Reaction score
Thx again wizkid
In safe mode, I was able to to put msconfig back to Normal Startup, but windows seems not to be able to start correctly.
I either get to Blue Screen of Physical Memory Dumping or windows freezes for ever.

During my research, i read on a few forums (not here) that changing msconfig could be a trigger for some malware. The machine I am having trouble with is my son's... So, it's not very suprising to find a malware in there!!! lol

After all, I think it would be a pretty good thing to cleanup the whole machine anyway.

Ask a Question