Where does MSCONFIG get/store list of startup keys?

+Bob+

Does MSconfig have it's own list of programs that have been entered
(at any point) into the list of HKCU or HKLM....Run?

Background: I got with one of those web site supplied viruses that
tells you everything is infected, buy our program, yada, yada, yada. I
shut down, rebooted in safe mode, and ran MSconfig. I found the virus
listed in the Startup panel with an HKCU...Run key kicking it off. I
disabled the virus startup and then got rid of the folder where the
virus was. Rebooted... system is fine.

However, the item I disabled still shows up in the Startup panel in
MSconfig. It's properly disabled but it's still there. How do I remove
it permanently from MSconfig's listing? It's not in the Run key in the
registry where MSconfig says it is. I looked there and did not find
it. I also ran a search and it's definitely not in the registry
anymore. So, MS config must be caching items somewhere in order to
show it. What do I edit to remove it and/or how to I get MSconfig to
refresh the list?

Peter Foldes

+Bob+

Registry (regedit)HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\MSconfig\Startupfolder also startupreg and you delete it from there. It is in
one or the other (startupfolder or startupreg)

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

PaulM

Go here http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=328 download and
run the script.

"bugmenot" wrote in message
+Bob+ wrote on 06/04/2010 00:11 ET :
[...]

Thanks,
Rather than running somebody eles's script or tool, just go to the registry
key
where the entries for msconfig disabled items are stored.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftShared ToolsMSConfigstartupreg

As always, back up your registry before making any changes. If you don't
know
how to do that, then you should probably not be mucking about with the
registry
(or even msconfig), so ask for help from somebody who does.