unable to upgrade xp in safe mode

G

I am unable to get out of the safe mode. Unfortunately I did not read this forum before trying something stupid. I then tried to upgrade window xp using the xp installer. However it keeps saying it is unable to upgrade in the safe mode

1) it is possible to get out of the safe mode using the methods explained eg switch off /safeboot, without loosing any data
2) if I use the rescue disk of win 98, can I switch off the /safeboot
3) is it possible to access the directory if I do not have xp rescue disk
4) if all else fails can I partition the disk and install a new win xp and access the old partition to retrieve data? How do I know if my disk is already partitioned and where my previous data is

Whatever the outcome, lesson to learn: ALWAYS HAVE BACKUPS!! (sigh

Thanks

G

You can try booting with the Windows XP CD-ROM and it will prompt you to upgrade if you already installed Windows NT4.0/Windows 2000/Windows XP

Wei Mingzhi

G

I tried all 2 options viz upgrade, stop upgrading but each time it will jump back to the safe mode and win xp will say unable to upgrade in safe mode. just couldn't get out of safe mode

Ask a Question