Unable to start Windows XP Home edition after power failure

Strippy

As windows was shutting down on the PC the fuse failed in the mains plug and
now I am unable to get windows XP to run, it gets as far as windows running
and when the screen goes blank it stays blank. I have tried to fix the
problem using the repair facility on the original Windows XP home edition CD
but so far I have had no luck. Can anyone assist in resolving this problem

Gerry

Strippy

Does the problem also show up when you boot to safe mode?

If it does try Last Known Good Configuration?
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

Another option is to log on as the Administrator in Safe Mode and create
a new user profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

http://support.microsoft.com

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chas2209

Strippy
The question i would be asking myself is "Why Did The Fuse Fail?"

chas2209

Jonathan Boyko

Ehlo,
If what Gerry offers fails to solve the problem, my guess would be to reinstall
the system with repair 2 (as in, you start Windows setup, continue as if
you're about to install new system and after it searches your drive for previous
versions of XP, it allows you to do automatic repair).

---
Sincerely,
Jonathan M. Boyko,
TMidEast.Com.

G> Strippy
G>
G> Does the problem also show up when you boot to safe mode?
G>
G> If it does try Last Known Good Configuration?
G> A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
G> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us
G> Another option is to log on as the Administrator in Safe Mode and
G> create a new user profile.
G>
G> HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
G> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783
G>
G> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
G> http://support.microsoft.com
G> Gerry
G> ~~~~
G> FCA
G> Stourport, England
G> Enquire, plan and execute
G> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
G> Strippy wrote:

Strippy

I am unable to start up in safe mode.

Gerry said:
Strippy

Does the problem also show up when you boot to safe mode?

If it does try Last Known Good Configuration?
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

Another option is to log on as the Administrator in Safe Mode and create
a new user profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=279783

http://support.microsoft.com

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strippy

I have already tried the repair function as part of the original Windows XP
Home CD and it gets to the part when it shuts the PC down as part of the
repair but when it starts back up again I end up with the black screen again.

Strippy

I have checked everything on the power unit and the mother board and all
voltages etc are as they should be.

Gerry

Strippy

Did you try Last Known Good Configuration?

At the black screen have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Can you access the BIOS?

What is the boot sequence order? You may need to change the order so
that the CD/DVD drive is before the hard drive. This is necessary if you
are trying to boot from a Windows XP CD.

Does the BIOS recognise the hard drive?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Strippy

Yes I have tried the last known good config with no joy and I have tried
ctrl+alt+del at the black screen still no joy. I am able to access the bios
and I did change the sequence to make the cd/dvd drive before the hard drive
so I was able to try the original cd repair but even that did not work. When
in the bios it can see details of the hard drive that has the windows info on
it.

Gerry

Strippy

Try disconnecting all hardware except keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Have you recovered all data on the hard drive?

Recovery can be done without booting the computer but needs a second
computer to be available to carry out the operation. In essence the hard
drive is removed from the problem computer and is, either placed in the
second computer as a slave drive or is placed in an external cradle
connected to the second computer. Either way you bypass the damaged
operating system on the first computer and use the operating system of
the second computer to read and copy the data files to removable media
such as a CD.

What error messages are you seeing?
-

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike Hall - MVP

Strippy said:
As windows was shutting down on the PC the fuse failed in the mains plug
and
now I am unable to get windows XP to run, it gets as far as windows
running
and when the screen goes blank it stays blank. I have tried to fix the
problem using the repair facility on the original Windows XP home edition
CD
but so far I have had no luck. Can anyone assist in resolving this problem

You need to set the boot order such that the CD/DVD drive is first in the
list.

This can be done by pressing an F key as the computer initializes. Look for
an F key listing along he base of the screen as the computer starts.

If you do not have the option to do the above, you will have to go into BIOS
and manually set the CD/DVD drive to top billing..

Then restart the computer with the Windows CD (NOT a recovery CD) in the
drive and follow the instructions given here..