unable to ping a particular address

Rob

Got an IBM Thinkpad with Win2k pro configured with a
static ip address of 192.168.4.17. I'm trying to install
drivers for an HP 5500 that's out on the network with an
IP of 192.168.4.55. The installation has failed numerous
times, unable to connect to the printer. The IBM can ping
anything else on the LAN, other pc's, printers, servers,
etc. but refuses to ping or connect to this particular
address. The drivers and software have installed on other
Thinkpads as well as other notebooks and desktops. I've
checked everything on this particular IBM and am at a
total loss to explain this behavior.

I have the same problem on Windows Server 2003. - did you find an answer - if so please post so I may fi

----- Rob wrote: ----

Got an IBM Thinkpad with Win2k pro configured with a
static ip address of 192.168.4.17. I'm trying to install
drivers for an HP 5500 that's out on the network with an
IP of 192.168.4.55. The installation has failed numerous
times, unable to connect to the printer. The IBM can ping
anything else on the LAN, other pc's, printers, servers,
etc. but refuses to ping or connect to this particular
address. The drivers and software have installed on other
Thinkpads as well as other notebooks and desktops. I've
checked everything on this particular IBM and am at a
total loss to explain this behavior

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Some questions:

1. Is the printer using a JetDirect card or attached to another machine?
2. Is this a domain environment or a peer2peer?
3. Do any other clients have this issue?
4. Are you logged into the IBM as the local or domain administrator account?
5. Please clarify what you mean by "installation failed?" Were you not able to use a CD to
install the printer on the IBM?
6. You say that you cannot ping this printer? Can other clients ping ths printer? If other clients
can ping the printer, if you give your IBM an ip of another machine (taking it off line of course),
can you then ping it? Sounds like it could be an access issue or routing issue.
7. When you try to install the printer (asuming you ar eusing a network path to do so), what is
the error you receive? (verbatim please)

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: RE: unable to ping a particular address
'--'Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:31:05 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

----- Rob wrote: ----

Got an IBM Thinkpad with Win2k pro configured with a

static ip address of 192.168.4.17. I'm trying to install

drivers for an HP 5500 that's out on the network with an

IP of 192.168.4.55. The installation has failed numerous

times, unable to connect to the printer. The IBM can ping

anything else on the LAN, other pc's, printers, servers,

etc. but refuses to ping or connect to this particular

address. The drivers and software have installed on other

Thinkpads as well as other notebooks and desktops. I've

checked everything on this particular IBM and am at a

total loss to explain this behavior

'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.