Unable to Open Attachments

SteveT

Since today I have been unable to open attachments (word, excel and jpg)
except pdf files. I am able to copy and paste to a folder and open from the
folder. I get a "The file can not be found" message. Had a big windows
service pack yesterday, could that change any mail settings?

BertS

SteveT said:
Since today I have been unable to open attachments (word, excel and jpg)
except pdf files. I am able to copy and paste to a folder and open from the
folder. I get a "The file can not be found" message. Had a big windows
service pack yesterday, could that change any mail settings?

Rainald Taesler

SteveT said:
Since today I have been unable to open attachments (word, excel and
jpg) except pdf files. I am able to copy and paste to a folder and
open from the folder. I get a "The file can not be found" message.
Had a big windows service pack yesterday, could that change any mail
settings?

Did the "big" SP include IE8?

If you are running IE8 most probably you get bitten by the IE8-WinMail
bug which affects many systems (though not the majority) after
installing IE8.

The only cure is to uninstall IE8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/en-us

The problems can be reduced to JPG and TXT files (all other files types
opening fine) with a workaround:
Right-click on the shortcut that you use to open Windows Mail.
Select Properties.
In the field labeled 'Start in' change the entered value to
%UserProfile%.
Click OK.
Restart Windows Mail and try opening attachments.

HTH
Rainald

SteveT

Thank you for the advise it worked a treat. Uninstalled IE8 and IE7 restored
all systems working including access to e-mail attachments.

Rainald Taesler

SteveT said:
Thank you for the advise it worked a treat. Uninstalled IE8 and IE7
restored all systems working including access to e-mail attachments.

You're welcome!
Thanks for the feedback.

Rainald

BertS

I would prefer not to go back to IE7, but would rather wait for a MS fix. I
found I could work around the problem by dragging the attachment to the
desktop where it would then open correctly.

Thanks anyhow for the response.

Reynolds

there is no value in the "start" box and it won't let me click on it to enter
anything.....now what....I have the same problem....but it is weird.....I
have had IE8 for awhile now and all of a sudden it says it cant find
jpg....why would this happen now I wonder?

Reynolds

I am not sure I want windows live mail....what is the difference between it
and windows mail?
If Microsoft is aware of this problem....what has it not been corrected?
Thank you for your time .....

Gary VanderMolen

Microsoft advised users two years ago that Windows Live Mail was the
replacement for Windows Mail. All development and improvement of
Windows Mail has been stopped since about June 2006. Given the
amount of time that has passed since this incompatibility between
Windows Mail and IE8 was first discovered, it is not likely that a fix
will be forthcoming. You have your choice of the two 'fixes' I mentioned
below, or else save attachments first, then open them outside of WM.

KeithF

Hello,

I have a similar situation and hope that someone will be able to help. I am
not able to open excel files that are e-mailed to me. I can open Word, PDF
files, but not Excel. This is a recent problem and I get a message that the
file cannot be found and to recheck the spelling. I can open existing Excel
files that I have been working on, but not new ones that are e-mailed. I have
a Windows Vista operating system and am not a "tech person"

Thanks,
Keith

Gary VanderMolen

Make sure you have installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 and all Windows updates.
There was a problem a while back with attachments, but it was fixed by
a Windows update.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"KeithF" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a similar situation and hope that someone will be able to help. I am
not able to open excel files that are e-mailed to me. I can open Word, PDF
files, but not Excel. This is a recent problem and I get a message that the
file cannot be found and to recheck the spelling. I can open existing Excel
files that I have been working on, but not new ones that are e-mailed. I have
a Windows Vista operating system and am not a "tech person"

Thanks,
Keith

Nick B

Same, same, I'm afraid.

Except I can open jpg files but not pdf, Excel or Word unless I save them to
my hard drive. When I try to open them direct from WLM, the programme
freezes and has to be closed via Task Manager.

Have tried a complete uninstall/reinstall of Windows Live Mail, but no joy.

I hope someone (at Microsoft?) can advise us on this problem soon....