From: "(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]>
Subject: Unable to install Epson Stylus 740i printer
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:25:43 -0800

Connected a peer-to-peer network - Op
systems are 2 win 98 SE, 1 win 2k pro. Have set up all
permissions on the win 2k pro system. Set up a printer
that is connected to the win 2k pro computer for sharing.
When attempting to print to that printer am prompted to
install printer on win 98 computer. When I attempt to
install get a message saying this printer could not be
installed, reboot system and try again if problem persists
contact system administrator. I can however install
another shared printer that is connected to a win 98SE
system. Please help?
--

Sandy,

Have we added the Windows 98 printer driver for the printer to the Windows 2000 Pro system? If we are not sure we can go
to the properties for the printer, then go to the Sharing tab, click the Additional Drivers buttong and then make sure there is a
check beside "Windows 95 or 98" and the Installed colume says "Yes". We need to have the 98 drivers on the 2000
system so 98 can download the drivers when it connects to the network printer.

We could also try setting up the printer as a local printer on 98 using say LPT2 and then caputer the printer share, \\<2K Pro
machine name>\<printer share name>, to the LPT2 port. This way Windows 98 will not look to the Windows 2000 machine
for the printer driver.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.