Unable to boot from IDE-0

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have messed about with PC's quite a bit before and have run into problems like anyone else but this one has me beat...hoping someone can help me out.

I encountered a problem when adding a new USB ports which meant I had to move one of the hard drives. After this the PC would not boot. I tried reseating all the IDE cables and checking jumper settings but nothing seemed to work. In the end I removed both drives and cables and re-installed them. I booted from my Windows XP disk and formatted both drives IDE-0 and IDE-1. I removed the partitions and recreated them. They were formatted and Windows XP reinstalled on IDE-0.

However when booting, the following message is shown:-

Searching for Boot Record from Floppy.....Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0 .....Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from CDROM....Not Found
Searching for Boot Record from SCSI .....Not Found

Boot Failure.
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert Boot Media in selected boot device. Press any key when ready.

If I change the hard drive from IDE-0 to IDE-1 in the BIOS settings then Windows boots up! However I notice that looking at the C: drive the Windows files are in there but there are a set of boot files on the D: drive. I suspect it is booting from the wrong drive.

How do I change things so it will boot from IDE-0 rather than IDE-1?

Help me please...I am going nuts !!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I encountered a problem when adding a new USB ports which meant I had to move one of the hard drives.
Was this a PCI card ... have had some really screw a PC over until removed.

A little more info on what the system is would also help ... ;)

Reaction score
The item I was fitting was a PCI card with 3 USB 2.0 ports attached to a secondary set of USB ports on the front of the case. Thanks for the information but I tried removing the card without any joy so I have refitted it.

The PC was built by myself and has...
  • Gigabyte GA-7VRX motherboard
  • ASUS GeForce4 Graphics card (can't find model at the moment)
  • AMD 1600XP chip
Hope this is of use to you...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yep, I can see a lot clearer with some specs ... ;)

Ok, pop into the BIOS and check that ALL the IDEs are set to auto and the floppy is enabled ... if this is so, then I would suggest resetting the BIOS, using the jumper on the MB ... I never tell anybody to use the BIOS reset, unless they cannot access their drives. Be sure to go back into the BIOS and recheck the settings if you do reset it.

I would still leave the USB card out of the system until I have it back to some sort of normality. :thumb:

:)

Ask a Question