Unable to access drives/Card Reader/Pen Drive

Noel S Pamfree

When running in Safe Mode I am able to access my CD and DVD drives as well
as my Photo Card Reader and Pen Drive.

However when I re-boot and load up Windows XP (Home) I am only able to
access them if the same disc/card/Pen Drive has been left in the device.
Once I remove a CD etc. Windows either reports that the drive is
inaccessible or it allows me to log on to the drive but shows no files as
being present and cannot access them.

Even stranger is the fact that if I insert a music CD in a drive, Windows
Media Player opens and the music begins!

I am at the end of my tether - can someone help?

Noel

Ofer Geva

Having the same problem for few months now too !

Combined with that is a problem with Removable disk (USB Mass storage) which
is not accessible and give the same error as the CD-ROM and the DVD-ROM
while other USB devices work perfectly OK (wireless mouse, scanner, etc)

The error message is:

G:\ is not accessible
Incorrect function.

Ofer

Bob I

See reply to Noel

Ofer said:
Having the same problem for few months now too !

Combined with that is a problem with Removable disk (USB Mass storage) which
is not accessible and give the same error as the CD-ROM and the DVD-ROM
while other USB devices work perfectly OK (wireless mouse, scanner, etc)

The error message is:

G:\ is not accessible
Incorrect function.

Ofer

Treeman

"Noel S Pamfree" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message
When running in Safe Mode I am able to access my CD and DVD drives a
well
as my Photo Card Reader and Pen Drive.

However when I re-boot and load up Windows XP (Home) I am only abl
access them if the same disc/card/Pen Drive has been left in th
device.
Once I remove a CD etc. Windows either reports that the drive is
inaccessible or it allows me to log on to the drive but shows no file
as
being present and cannot access them.

Even stranger is the fact that if I insert a music CD in a drive
Windows
Media Player opens and the music begins!

I am at the end of my tether - can someone help?

Noel
-
_New_security_features_with_SP2!_

Some things to look at & try; 'New Drive' (http://tinyurl.com/45fh5)

'USB Faq' (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx)

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all USB devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboo
prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn'
uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of th
entries there as well.
When this is done, reboot TWICE.
Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Please post seperate problems and not,"me too."
It will get noticed sooner.
Treema

Ofer Geva

Hi,

Disabled Norton Auto-Protect,
Restarted the PC,
Checked that Auto-Protect is off,
No success...

No problems while working in Safe mode

Ofer

Noel S Pamfree

The machine does have Norton/Symantec on it but although I tried disabling
it didn't work.

I could actually logon to any disc that was in the drive on start-up but
once I ejected them and inserted new ones I just got a blank screen. The
card reader continues to say drive not accessible.

Thanks anyway it was worth a try?

Could this be some sort of hidden Trojan virus?

Noel