UF...no

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Back in the autumn of 2010, I took some photos as we motored along in the car. At the time, I wanted to see how well the anti-shake worked on my little Canon A590 Power Shot. (Rather well, as it turned-out.)

But today, I noticed some little bright "dots" which tbh, I hadn't noticed at the time of uploading.

I quite see how folk can get carried away, thinking their camera has picked-up a formation of UFOs... but, in my case, I'm pretty certain they're more like UF-nos. Look at the top right corner.

IMG_0807.jpg

The black "UFO shape" on the left is actually one of those inflatable advertising balloon thingies.

Here are the bright spots a bit closer:

IMG_0807-1.jpg

Did a group of ETs pay us a visit..? I think not. Probably water droplets on the windscreen, unnoticed at the time...? :D

Reaction score
No i think their aliens after TC.:eek:
Going to take TC to planet zogg to study how humans work.:rolleyes:
If that's the case we are really screwed if they abduct TC!:p

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Dead pixels that's what they are. This is caused by aging, eventually you will have more as time passes.There is nothing you can do about them. Some are white and some can be black.

Sorry to give you the bad news. :(

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
:mad: Loks like poor TC wiill be looking for a new camera then:cry:

My Nikon Coolpix 995 which I bought 10 years ago also has some dead pixels and when I noticed them I did a research on the net and that is when I found out about them. When I saw it on TC's pic I was quick in pointing it out.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
No i think their aliens after TC.:eek:
Going to take TC to planet zogg to study how humans work.:rolleyes:
If that's the case we are really screwed if they abduct TC!:p
Hmm... might have been interesting to visit Zogg .:lol:

Dead pixels that's what they are. This is caused by aging, eventually you will have more as time passes.There is nothing you can do about them. Some are white and some can be black.

Sorry to give you the bad news. :(
Oh that's an interesting thought, and one which I'd not considered Quad. But, wouldn't dead pixels show up on other photos too?

I took quite a lot that day - and that was the only one (taken quite early on in the journey) which produced the blobs.

As mentioned, this happened about 18 months ago and not occurred since. That's why I "favoured" the water-droplet theory.... I'm (fairly) certain we gave the windscreen a quick wash before leaving, to remove traffic-film, so that I could do a bit of happy-snapping.
digital-camera-animation-animated-camera-smiley-emoticon-000420-medium.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The four (or is it eight) objects are all the same shape and at the same angle. Dead pixels would be much more random.

I'd go for the droplets. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think dead pixels would be uniform on all pix myself so I'd tend to go for droplets.

And while we're on the subject, in all the flat screen monitors I've owned, have never encountered a dead pixel. 'spose I've been lucky :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah I thought that too its much more likely to be something on the windscreen!

Think Mr Quads been on the magic mushrooms again..:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And while we're on the subject, in all the flat screen monitors I've owned, have never encountered a dead pixel. 'spose I've been lucky :)
Me too! Didn't find any on the screens of 3 laptops, or our two desktop monitors. FWIW, not found any on the flat screened TVs either....:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hmm... might have been interesting to visit Zogg .:lol:

Oh that's an interesting thought, and one which I'd not considered Quad. But, wouldn't dead pixels show up on other photos too?

I took quite a lot that day - and that was the only one (taken quite early on in the journey) which produced the blobs.

As mentioned, this happened about 18 months ago and not occurred since. That's why I "favoured" the water-droplet theory.... I'm (fairly) certain we gave the windscreen a quick wash before leaving, to remove traffic-film, so that I could do a bit of happy-snapping.
digital-camera-animation-animated-camera-smiley-emoticon-000420-medium.gif

I suppose if it is only on one pic and not on all than obviously it is not a case of dead pixels. I got the impression that it is repeated on every picture.

I will try taking a picture from my nikon and posting it here so you guys know what it looks like.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I suppose if it is only on one pic and not on all than obviously it is not a case of dead pixels. I got the impression that it is repeated on every picture.

I will try taking a picture from my nikon and posting it here so you guys know what it looks like.
Oh sorry Quad. In my first post I really should have mentioned that the white specs only appeared on a single shot. My bad. :blush:

But that's why I found the phenomena a tad intriguing.... I would have expected droplets to be visible in at least a few of the other shots too, but they're all clear. So this is why I made the (playful) suggestion about UFOs. (Just type "bright UFO" into Google Images, to see quite a few similar pics.)

I've since worked out that we would have been facing North at that particular point on the road; it would have been early afternoon. The sun must have illuminated the moisture in just the right way to cause that effect, before the road curved East, thus altering the angle of the light again. Well, that's my theory anyway. :D

Ask a Question