Udating Discussion Forum

G

If you create a discussion forum that is also the home page for your site and you want to update the site portion, how does this affect the posts that are currently on the remote server. It just seems that the local and remote servers would always be in conflict with regard to the posts. Anything special I should do when I publish the update?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You will need to edit the site directly on the remote server. Generally the discussion web should be
implemented as a subweb separate from your rest of your site content.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

frontpager said:
If you create a discussion forum that is also the home page for your site and you want to update
the site portion, how does this affect the posts that are currently on the remote server. It just
seems that the local and remote servers would always be in conflict with regard to the posts.
Anything special I should do when I publish the update?

G

Thanks for your help. Would it work if I publish from the remote server to my local web, edit the home page, and then publish back to the server only the changed pages? I really don't like working live on my sites.

----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

You will need to edit the site directly on the remote server. Generally the discussion web should b
implemented as a subweb separate from your rest of your site content

--
=============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
WEBMASTER Resources(tm
http://www.ycoln-resources.co
FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
=============================================
To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

frontpager said:
If you create a discussion forum that is also the home page for your site and you want to updat
the site portion, how does this affect the posts that are currently on the remote server. It jus
seems that the local and remote servers would always be in conflict with regard to the posts
Anything special I should do when I publish the update

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Generally No
Since the DW posts are dynamic and generally will not publish both ways, or may affect new post

Use of a subweb for the DW (if your host supports them) is the only way to leave your DW untouched when you publish to your root

--

| Thanks for your help. Would it work if I publish from the remote server to my local web, edit the home page, and then publish
back to the server only the changed pages? I really don't like working live on my sites.
|
| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: -----
|
| You will need to edit the site directly on the remote server. Generally the discussion web should be
| implemented as a subweb separate from your rest of your site content.
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| ==============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | > If you create a discussion forum that is also the home page for your site and you want to update
| the site portion, how does this affect the posts that are currently on the remote server. It just
| seems that the local and remote servers would always be in conflict with regard to the posts.
| Anything special I should do when I publish the update?
|
|
|

G

Thanks for the information. I have two more questions about this.
1. If this is not workable to have the web page and the disucussion page combined, why then does the Front Page Wizard ask if you want to do it this way? About half way through the Wizard, it asks "Do you want this Table of Contents page for this disucssion to be the home page for this web site" It just seems odd to me that they would ask if you want to do something they know wont work
2. To set the discussion up as a sub web, do I just create a sub web for the discussion forum and then link to that subweb

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

Generally N
Since the DW posts are dynamic and generally will not publish both ways, or may affect new pos

Use of a subweb for the DW (if your host supports them) is the only way to leave your DW untouched when you publish to your roo

--

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| Thanks for your help. Would it work if I publish from the remote server to my local web, edit the home page, and then publis
back to the server only the changed pages? I really don't like working live on my sites

| ----- Thomas A. Rowe wrote: ----

| You will need to edit the site directly on the remote server. Generally the discussion web should b
| implemented as a subweb separate from your rest of your site content

| --
| =============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm
| http://www.ycoln-resources.co
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc
| =============================================
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| | > If you create a discussion forum that is also the home page for your site and you want to updat
| the site portion, how does this affect the posts that are currently on the remote server. It jus
| seems that the local and remote servers would always be in conflict with regard to the posts
| Anything special I should do when I publish the update

T

Thomas A. Rowe

#1 If you create the DW as a subweb, then you would want to say yes to this question, no if you
already have a home page in your site.

#2 When creating the DW, enter the path as:

/webname/subwebname

Where subwebname is the name that you want to call the discussion web.

--
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

frontpager said:
Thanks for the information. I have two more questions about this.
1. If this is not workable to have the web page and the disucussion page combined, why then does
the Front Page Wizard ask if you want to do it this way? About half way through the Wizard, it asks
"Do you want this Table of Contents page for this disucssion to be the home page for this web site"
It just seems odd to me that they would ask if you want to do something they know wont work.
2. To set the discussion up as a sub web, do I just create a sub web for the discussion forum and then link to that subweb?

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: -----

Generally No
Since the DW posts are dynamic and generally will not publish both ways, or may affect new post

Use of a subweb for the DW (if your host supports them) is the only way to leave your DW
untouched when you publish to your root
--

| Thanks for your help. Would it work if I publish from the remote server to my local web,
edit the home page, and then publish

Ask a Question