Two sudden PC deaths

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yesterday, both computers "died" simultaneously. We thought it was a powercut, but when I checked, I found everything else to be working okay. When we checked the fuse of the main surge-protector block, it had blown.

After replacing the fuse, everything started up okay, but then, within about five minutes, they both "died" again. :eek: This time, the fuse was perfectly okay. :confused: We tried to eliminate other causes and, switched on the main lights to get a better look... they suddenly blinked and someone's house alarm went off outside. Ah-ha...!

Terry rang the Electricity supplier and was told there was a problem in our area (which according to them, was also affecting part of the West Country.) Their advice..."don't use any "sensitive" equipment, ring back later to see whether it has been fixed.

So it made me think... If individual households can sign-up to have the Environment Agency send out a phone-call, when flooding is likely in their area... why the heck, can't the Utility companies do the same thing when power interruptions might be likely...? Would automated calls be that difficult to set up?

Reaction score
Very good point there Taff, but I think the power companies would just say that lack of electricty is not as life threatening as a flood..And that you would servive until the power outage was over..That's of course to say hopefully your computers weren't in some kind of way a life support to you...:bow: :lol: :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes Madx, I'd agree up to a point, but thinking of "occasional" users who are not too PC savvy, I could imagine some of them heading off for the repair shop if their machines went down two or three times with apparently, no explanation.

Re the life-support thing... there used to be someone living around here, who did have some home dialysis machinery, if memory serves... so I don't know whether they were given any special consideration.

Reaction score
Hmmm ok got me there..

As for the D machine, i'd have assumed they would have battery backup incase of this sort of thing.....

<------ Look i'm Noddy...One of the Mods has been busy today..lol I like it:nod: :lol: :lol: :bow:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: Oh bless, he's even got the little Noddy bell too.....(he can't surprise anyone in the corridor now ;) )

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130471

Cheap as chips an you can get the software for free.

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130471

Cheap as chips an you can get the software for free.

happywave.gif

I have to be honest, thoughts of one of those, went through my mind when it happened. I was going to get one a while back, but didn't get around to it. I read the info on the page you linked to, but still not clear about whether more than one PC could be plugged into it? Or do you need to get one for each? (Sorry, probably having a senior moment here :rolleyes: ) Thank you for the link :D
:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
:thumb: Thank you for those additional links Abarbarian, they are interesting. I'm going to take another look in the morning when we're a bit more awake. :wave:

Ask a Question