TWAIN scanner (Microtek 5950) not recognized in Windows XP

G

glenlaw1

After I upgraded to XP from 98 I am unable to get a
Microtek 5950 Scanner recognized. I had the same problem
with an HP 5550c and an epson 3170. I had obtained the
latest drivers from the manufacturers but still no go.

I am using a Power Spce 5880 computer. I was connecting
through a Belkin 4-port USB hub. I also tried a direct
connection between scanner and computer and still no go.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A

alanrc54

I've got a Microtek 5900, and it has been rather buggy. I'm sure it's the Microtek software. In particular, sometimes it locks up Windows (XP Pro) if I try to scan in several documents in a row. However, the scanner itself always shows up in the Device manager. I'm assuming yours came with ScanWizard 5 and you have that software installed. Mine is currently on version 5.85. Also, are your USB ports USB 2.0 or 1.1? Even though 2.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, my experience so far is that sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. For instance, I have an Olympus digital camera that is USB 1.1 and if I try to plug it into a USB2 plug to download pictures, it crashes, but if I plug it into a USB1.1 plug on the same computer, it works fine. Go figure! However, only the Microtek scanner will lock up XP. You definitely want to plug it in directly to the computer port, rather than the Belkin hub. Then try re-running the setup software on the Microtek CD, or download the current drivers from their site and run that. Next time, get an HP or Canon scanner. ;-)

Alan

Ask a Question