Trying to network 2 computers and another device.

kreeture

Maybe this isnt the right place to ask this, but it's the only
relevant group I could find. I recently bought a new computer, and I
want to network the new one with the old one. I have cable internet,
with a ethernet and usb out on the cable modem. The new computer runs
on WinXP and has USB, NIC, and 1394 ports. The old one runs on WinME
and has USB, and a NIC. I have gotten them both to connect to the
internet via a router, and set up both comps to connect directly to
the internet, but the network is slow and disconnects frequently. Is
there a way to set up the new computer as a network server and have
the other one share the connection? Any help is aprreciated

(e-mail address removed)

What kind of router are u using?
I have a DLink 707 router. I've had two computers hooked to it
through a cable modem to the internet with no problems.

If you don't want to use a router this might help.
windows does have an option referred to as "Internet connection sharing".
The Windows Help offers an explanation of how it works.
I've used this option on a machine running WIN98 or ME and it worked.

Best Regards!

Sergio Moreno

Hello there,

Windows XP uses DNS to name resolution first and that may slow access to local resources in your situation.
Perhaps the following series of KBs on setting up a home network can help:

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP

From: (e-mail address removed) (kreeture)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Subject: Trying to network 2 computers and another device.
Date: 30 Apr 2004 20:23:15 -0700

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.