Local Area Connection disappeared from Network and Dial-up Connections!

Michel Merlin

I am writing from a PC with W2KSP4 (Athlon XP 2000+, Gigabyte GA-7VA, VIA KT400, Windows 2000 SP4).

In "Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections" I had a Local Area Connection (renamed "C108" because still earlier I had 2 NICs and 2 Connections).

A few days ago I bought a USB/WiFi dongle (Netgear WG111v2), but it didn't work so I returned it.

Unfortunately when I uninstalled and unplugged the soft/hard wares, that Local Area Connection had disappeared! And when trying to set a new one, I couldn't:

"Make New Connection" offers 5 alternatives, all very restrictive and outdated:

- Dial-up to private network
- Dial-up to the Internet
- Connect to a private network through the Internet
- Accept incoming connections
- Connect directly to another computer

When choosing the last one, I am offered only "Host" and "Guest", any of those requiring I chose from the available COM and LPT1 connections, but no way to chose the available NICs. Found no other ways. Anyone can help? TIA,

Versailles, Wed 16 May 2007 15:21:10 +0200

Phillip Windell

You don't "Make a new connection",...you install a new Nic.
You uninstalled the one you had,..you have to replace it with something.

No Nic = No Local Area Connection

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft, or
anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

[...]

I didn't uninstall any NIC, I just uninstalled and unplugged an USB/WiFi dongle.

However following on your remark I cakecked my "Device Manager > Network Adapters" again and this time my "Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC" has now a yellow-backgrounded exclamation mark, due to a "Code 31" ("Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device").

I will try to shut down/unplug/reboot/shut down/replug/reboot when I get the time but I fear this won't be enough.

Versailles, Wed 16 May 2007 17:49:00 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

[...]

(typo: "cakecked" -> "checked" - sorry)

« I will try to shut down/unplug/reboot/shut down/replug/reboot »

Done (with re-checking Device Manager inbetween). As expected, Realtek RTL8169 NIC "Code 31" is still there. Thanks for any help.

Versailles, Wed 16 May 2007 19:42:55 +0200

Michel Merlin said:
I didn't uninstall any NIC, I just uninstalled and unplugged an USB/WiFi
dongle.

Same thing.
The USB/WiFi dongle is a Network Adapter,...the fact that is is wireless (or
USB) is not relevant.
However following on your remark I cakecked my "Device Manager
Network Adapters" again and this time my "Realtek RTL8169/8110
Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC" has now a yellow-backgrounded
exclamation mark, due to a "Code 31" ("Windows cannot load the
drivers required for this device").

Then it is not functional, so is the same as if it wasn't there or was disabled.
Somewhere along the way that got screwed up. You may have to
uninstall/reinstall that device. With this being screwed up, when you removed
the USB network adapter the machine effectively had no network adapters at
all,...hence no Local Area Connection in the Network Places.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft, or
anyone else associated with me, including my cats.

goonlinekb

uninstall the driver of the NIC u have

then reboot the computer .................
it cofigure the hardware autometicaly...... (if not ) then install
the driver of the NIC again and reboot the comp.

Michel Merlin

(This is intended to people who did read that I did uninstall the driver... ;-) )

This just to mention that:

- I never used or plugged again my BlueTooth USB2 dongle for ~18 months, in which plenty installs, uninstalls, reboots, occurred. However its connection is still there (and "working properly"!) in my "Start > Settings > Network and Dial-up Connections".
- I tried another WiFi 802.11g USB2 key (Asus Spacelink WL-167g USB2 adapter), it failed too (same "Code 1"). I retried with the Ralink RT2500 USB Windows 2K driver, no better.
- I suspected my BDISv10 (BitDefender Internet Security v10) so I disabled all its 4 RT modules, no avail.

Clearly a network problem is annoying my W2K since the IT guys in my lab tweaked that PC. I never found it (and of course the IT guys neither).

I am giving up. A PC has sometimes to be used for some things else than for its own maintenance...

Versailles, Fri 1 Jun 2007 23:56:20 +0200

[...]

Sounds like the same problem I'm having. The Connection is not shown - in
addition the device manager is showing blank, and, whilst it's working
perfectly, it's impossible to update the IP addressing mode or the local DNS
address...