Trying to Get Past the Welcome Page after Reinstall of XP

G

Need expert help

My client called yesterday. He has a Dell Dimension 4550 purchased 2-25-03, service tag 2ybqg21 with Win-XP Home and current McAfee.

He had accidentally opened a worm-infected e-mail. When I got there yesterday, he had 138 infected files identified by McAfee. I could not identify the specific virus, so it did not make any sense to remove or quarantine them (although in retrospect, maybe we could have done so). Many could not be repaired

Here is what we have done

1. Because there were so many infected files (many windows files), we used System Restore back to February 23rd in hopes that we could go back in time before the virus attack
2. System Restore seemed to work properly, until the reboot. We could not get to the Welcome page to login
3. We also tried safe mode. Same result as in normal mode
4. Tried to boot from the Win XP using the Recovery Console, with no results
5. Tried to boot from a Norton Emergency Boot disk. No good
6. Finally we reinstalled Windows from the Win XP reinstallation CD Service Pack 1. (There are two Administrators and no passwords.
7. Got to the Welcome page. After clicking on the Administrator, the settings begin to load. After a few seconds, it stops and logs off with no apparent results. We are still unable to get past the Welcome page
8. Backup Administrator does not work
9. Nothing in the BIOS seems to indicate problems there
10. XP seems to have been registered properly with MSFT

To sum it up, I am stumped and have few alternatives other than to turn to you or reformat.

G

You should have disposed of the virus before doing a system restore. You may have infected the restore function with the virus by doing this. Reinstalling windows over the top of the infected one has more than likely infected everything now. It looks like formatting the hard drive and starting clean is the only option left now
Protect your computer by running a firewall, up to date antivirus and spyware-adware programs.

Ask a Question