Trying to connect PC to laptop

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am trying to connect my desktop to my laptop to share files. They both have XP and I have joined them with a crossover cable.

I set the IP on the desktop network card to 192.168.0.1 and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

On the laptop I made the IP address 192.168.0.2 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

I then tried "ping 192.168.0.2" in the command prompt but all I get is "request timed out" or something like that???

Anybody any ideas??? This is doin' me 'ead in?!?!?!?

I would really appreciate a basic steps guide to this please.

Cheers!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
have you used the windows network setup wizard ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
BallisticBane said:
Ive tried the Network Setup Wizard and I still cant them to connect???
I tried that in the end I purchased flasmemory 1 gig it is better than all the messing about the wizard either works or not.

Reaction score
U can just buy a switch. The cheapest just costs around £5. Connect two machines and switch with 2 straight through cables. Go to control pannel - system - computer nam. Then change the group name of 2 computers into the same name. Finally, choose the folders u want to share!:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I've got it sussed now! Don;t know how all of a sudden they now connect ?? But now they do?!?!?! Probably something to do with the firewalls??

Anyways... I'm not complaining!

Cheers!

Ask a Question