Trouble with Adobe Flash

Reaction score
Sorry about this but I am having trouble with downloading the new Adobe Flash edition. Please can someone help. I am running Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit. When going to download the update Adobe asks me to select which version and shows the following:-

YUM for linux
.tar. GZfor other LINUX
.vpm for other linux
APT for ubuntu

Once I have downloaded it where do I put the file and how then do I then run it? All help gratefully received.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Adobe Flash is banned from my systems, even Linux.

One simple way is to use Google Chrome, it has a version of Flash that is maintained by Google, no need to upgrade/update anything with any potential security breach.

OK, if you insist ...
go to the Software Manager, type 'Flash' (no quotes) in the search box, press enter. It's 3rd on my list ... highlight it and press enter, (no idea why I cannot use double click) ... if it's already installed, remove it ... err, ok don't remove it ... it should be the latest version that is recommender for Mint anyway.

NO NEED DO ANYTHING IF FLASH IS ALREADY INSTALLED

You could, if you are feeling daring, use a Terminal ...
Code:
sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
press enter & enter your password

if that didn't work, then it's a warning to you ... ok, maybe not ... then try
Code:
sudu dpkg-reconfigure pepperflashplugin-nonfree

once you install this version of Flash, it will NOT auto update, so you will have to do it...
Code:
update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree -install

and Linux users wonder why they left Windows. :)

I think I got that right ... but like I said, I don't trust Flash on any system!

If Mint has any important updates, I'd expect to see it listed in the Update Manager

Me, I installed Google Chrome, not Chromium, and if I 'need' flash to view something, I have a secure version.
You can use Firefox for everything else.

having fun, wish you were there ... :user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Whats to be sorry for ? Even Urmas does not know everything about linux and has to ask a Q every now and again.

http://www.binarytides.com/better-linux-mint-17-cinnamon/

4. Install Flash Player
The adobe flash plugin package (adobe-flashplugin) is installed by default on Mint so should be able to play flash games and videos inside Firefox.

Google Chrome now uses the Pepper API based flash player which comes inbuilt with it, so you don't need to do anything for Chrome either.

For Chromium however, the Pepper based flash player is not included (being a non-free component) and has to be installed manually.

Install the following package to install the pepper flash player for Chromium. It will download the pepper flash player from Google Chrome browser and put it inside Chromium.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
The above command should setup the flash player in Chromium. Incase it fails to download, redo the process with the following command

Code:
$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure pepperflashplugin-nonfree

How to Upgrade Adobe Flash Player on Linux Mint

Need to update your Flash player in Linux Mint? The method you use to update Flash depends on the web browser that you're using. Adobe has stopped updating all versions of Flash besides Google Chrome, so if you use a different browser, you'll need to take some extra steps.

Adobe has stopped supporting Flash on linux thankfully. With a bit of luck they will stop supporting it for Windows soon and Flash will wither and die completely. :cool:

Ask a Question