The thing that puts people off Linux

Reaction score
As you know I am a fairly new user user of Linux and often go on the Linux Forums seeking help or helping others new to Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have found that many of the forums seem to be frequented by people that are full of their own importance and seem to look down on someone else who do not have the same ability or knowledge. I am glad to say that PC Review is not like that its members are so helpful and friendly and guide you in the right direction. So to all the Members of PCR thank you for your help I have received in the past (and the future)I couldn't have done it on my own.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Snobbery exists in many walks of life - welcome to the world of the Linux snob :D

As for the thread title 'The thing that puts people off Linux' contrary to popular belief it's not having to know how to use console commands or part-learn a language akin to coding, no - it's because human nature being what it is most folk think that the only things worth owning and using are those you have to pay for.

And if the greater majority of Linux Distros cost bugger-all then they just can't be any good can they?

And talking of Linux snobs, it is known there are some Arch users residing on this globe who hold the view that those who use Linux Mint are lower down the food chain than 'proper' Linux users and therefore frown upon them ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Snobbery exists in many walks of life - welcome to the world of the Linux snob :D

As for the thread title 'The thing that puts people off Linux' contrary to popular belief it's not having to know how to use console commands or part-learn a language akin to coding, no - it's because human nature being what it is most folk think that the only things worth owning and using are those you have to pay for.

And if the greater majority of Linux Distros cost bugger-all then they just can't be any good can they?

And talking of Linux snobs, it is known there are some Arch users residing on this globe who hold the view that those who use Linux Mint are lower down the food chain than 'proper' Linux users and therefore frown upon them ;)

What yer saying here Flops, Mint is a proper operating system. Blimey an I thought it was just an urban myth :lol:

Reaction score
I also think more people are turning to Linux distro's, I have had a friends son ring me up who has a limited budget to purchase a refurbished PC which I have got for him for £82 and he has got it now but when he powered it up found all the apps he wanted would cost him so much he has now asked me to put on Linux (I did not even point him in that direction) I have go down to Hythe tomorrow and install Linux Mint Cinnamon as he cannot afford to purchase the MS apps he wants and needs. I have a feeling that more people are looking for alternatives to Microsoft and Apple OS.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The thing that puts folk of linux are the overwhelming amount of articles or forum threads that highlight the so called difficulties involved in using linux. In other words a whole load of FUD.

@bootneck02 if you are helping someone with a new install of linux, which is very commendable :thumb: and your efforts have been noted at Penguin High Command. Why not start a thread highlighting the facts involved ?
I am sure that folk would get some very useful information and be entertained by your experience as a penguin ambassador.

:cool:

Reaction score
The thing that puts folk of linux are the overwhelming amount of articles or forum threads that highlight the so called difficulties involved in using linux. In other words a whole load of FUD.

@bootneck02 if you are helping someone with a new install of linux, which is very commendable :thumb: and your efforts have been noted at Penguin High Command. Why not start a thread highlighting the facts involved ?
I am sure that folk would get some very useful information and be entertained by your experience as a penguin ambassador.

Yes will do I will concoct something up Tomorrow or Monday as I will be doing the install tomorrow and will have to take the PC back down to him and try to show him how easy it is to use.

Reaction score
Yes will do I will concoct something up Tomorrow or Monday as I will be doing the install tomorrow and will have to take the PC back down to him and try to show him how easy it is to use.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Good luck with the install boots. I doubt you will have any major problems as Mint is a pretty good all round os.
Looking forward to the tale when you find time to post but there is no need to rush. Once your pal has had a few weeks running with Mint I think he will be pretty satisfied with it.
What are the specs for the pc you found for him ? You mentioned it was an oldish pc maybe folks here have some spare kit lying around that would give it a boost on the cheap.

:cool:

Just because it is old and cheap don't mean it ain't useful anymore.

:D

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a IT Technician coming round this afternoon who is a Microsoft engineer BUT runs Linux Mint Cinnamon on his home PC to help me out. I got the PC for a friend who wants to use Mint Cinnamon as he has gone off Microsoft, like a lot of people have.

Reaction score
It is a Dell Optiplex 745 and will take 64 bit, it looks like a PC that has been used in a office, the company I got it from does refurbished PC and guarantee's them for a year. The strange thing is that he approached me about Linux and asked me about running costs. When I told him it was free and all the apps were also free he was over the moon. He only is a light user so I think he will be pleased with it when he gets it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:cry::cry:Well he has gone taking the PC with him as it would appear there is something with the darn thing and he has do a lot investigating. I will let you all know when it is back on the run.:cry::cry::cry:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
:cry::cry:Well he has gone taking the PC with him as it would appear there is something with the darn thing and he has do a lot investigating. I will let you all know when it is back on the run.:cry::cry::cry:

Lets hope it is nothing serious. Looks like a fairly decent machine though, decent cpu for its time and it should have a speedy 10,000-rpm drive on board. If he is a light user then he should be pretty happy with it. :cool:

Reaction score
Got My fingers Crossed. My Mate is a certified Microsoft Engineer but he also runs Mint Cinnamon and he has it at the moment hoping he will be able to fix it.:confused::nod::user:

Ask a Question