Too many Eggs ... Bread Pudding sugestions?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Buy one dozen get one dozen free, what was I thinking :rolleyes:

... now I find me, myself & I have toooo many eggs ... so I thought I'd make a Bread-n-Butter pudding. Needed some ideas for something a little different and found this ...

9 Slices, each 1cm thick, good quality white bread, 1 day old.
150g dark continental chocolate
425mls Thickened cream
4 tablespoons rum (wonder how much one can use) :D
110g caster sugar
75g butter
A good pinch of cinnamon
3 eggs
Double cream, to serve

Method:

1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles.
2. Place the chocolate cream, rum, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water to melt the butter and chocolate and dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and stir to combine all ingredients.
3. Place the eggs in a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and then add to the chocolate mixture, making sure that all ingredients are well combined.
4. Spoon about a 1cm layer of the chocolate mixture in a 18X23x5cm lightly butter oven proof dish. Arrange half the bread over the chocolate in overlapping rows. Now pour the remaining chocolate mixture over the bread as evenly as possible. Arrange the rest of the bread over the top. Press down with a spoon so that the bread soaks up the chocolate mixture.
5. Cover with cling film and leave to stand at room temperature for 2 hours, and then place in the refrigerator for 24 hours or up to 48 hours.
6. When you are ready to cook the pudding pre-heat the oven to 180C, remove the cling film and bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is crunchy and the inside soft. Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Serving Suggestion: Serve with double cream poured over the top.

i havent tried this ... YET! :D

Have you any other veriations ... :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've tried one very similar to that Mucks! :D Becky made one a while back and it sounds almost exactly the same, and boy was it good :D

haha, I think I might go and pick some eggs up myself now ;)

Reaction score
Interesting - i made this when i worked in catering (complimented on it too) and it had no booze, no chocolate but had sultanas in it... Not sure on the rest of recipe!

Reaction score
Nah leave the booze out

Chocolate is a good idea tho. I'm really hungry now I aint eaten yet lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This one sounds nice too:

Caramel Bread and Butter Pudding

Ingredients:
5 Slices of bread
1/2 cup of brown sugar
470gm(15oz) can of evaporated milk (or use powdered milk as a substitute)
1 cup of water
3 eggs
1/4 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Cinnamon
Sultanas

Method:
Trim crusts and butter bread lightly. Cut into finger lengths. Lightly grease casserole dish, sprinkle brown suger over the base. Place bread on top buttered side up.
Hand beat eggs untill light and fluffy, mix in sugar and vanilla. Add milk and water, beat until combined. Spread sultanas on the top of bread, then pour over the mixture, sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in camp oven keeping the dish off the base of the oven. Place some hot water in the camp oven until it comes up the sides and then cook for 40 minutes on top of the coals. Bon appetite!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Google for "Shahi Tukra" that is what you should be making with all those eggs.

Just don't sit on them, we do not need a population explosion in the UK :D

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hello Quad

Describe your dish please....I am assuming it is a sweet dish (but might not be???) How do you make it and what would you serve it with??

Gabs xx

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Google for "Shahi Tukra" that is what you should be making with all those eggs.

Just don't sit on them, we do not need a population explosion in the UK :D
Sorry Quad ... they don't seem to use eggs. :confused:
Ingredients

Bread Slices - 8
Milk - 400 ml
Sugar - 150 gms
Crushed cardamom - 1 tsp
Condensed milk - 100 ml
Fried Cashewnuts - 15 gms
Fried Pista - 15 gms
Khoya (sweet) - 50 gms

:p

Nah leave the booze out
... OK, I used Whiskey instead and left the chocolate out. :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Hello Quad

Describe your dish please....I am assuming it is a sweet dish (but might not be???) How do you make it and what would you serve it with??

Gabs xx
Try this one Gabs ...

6 slices of white bread, cut in half
1 can condensed milk
1 cup vegetable oil
2 green cardamoms
2 cloves
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Few drops of red food coloring
1 cup whipped cream

Heat 2 spoons of oil in a frying pan and fry the bread slices, two at a time. Keep adding a little bit of oil every time because the bread will absorb all the oil very quickly. Heat sugar, water, cardamoms and cloves in a separate saucepan on medium heat to make sugar syrup. After about fifteen minutes, add condensed milk and food coloring to the sugar syrup. Leave the sugar syrup on medium heat for another fifteen minutes to thicken, just make sure that the syrup doesn’t get too thick because then the bread will not absorb it.

Add fried bread pieces and remove the saucepan from heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Once the bread absorbs all the liquid, then remove the bread pieces from the saucepan and place in a dish. Garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios. Serve warm or cold with whipped cream.

:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
The chocolate bread and butter pudding I made a while back was soooooo yummy, very rich and calorific (is this a word?!) though ;)

Mmmm... must make another one soon! :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am sorry I just realised that the Shahi Tukra (Mughlai Bread Pudding) which is very similar to what is popularly known in UK as Bread and Butter Pudding does not use any Eggs :eek:

However, it is much better than plain bread butter and pudding in my opinion and according to my taste. Sure it is very rich but that is what a classic dessert should be like! :D

I am giving a good link for the Shahi Tukra in case anyone wants to give it a try. Maybe Gabs?

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/recipedetail.cfm?id=1240

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
That looks GORGEOUS!! Might try that one at the week-end Quad!!

Gabs xx

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Mmmmmmmmm yum!!!!

Just remind me not to show this thread to John. He is a total chocoholic & has just discovered that he seems to be lactose intolerant & has had to cut sugar out of his diet also.
John has always been one of those (annoying) people who can stuff themselves on chocolate & coke etc etc every day & never put on a pound. As you can imagine he is finding this whole experience... a bit of a shock.
So we have been going nuts working out ways to make all his favourite dishes without either ingredient (& John always had a sweet tooth as well) I've done pretty well so far, but it's taken some creativity. (I can even make rice pudding without lactose or sugar now, but unfortunately cheesecake is beyond me).

So anyone who can suggest some good desert recipies that are lactose free (I can replace any sugar with sweetner) that would be wonderful.

Edit: I should start a new thread with this shouldn't I. Sorry mucks :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Buy one dozen get one dozen free, what was I thinking :rolleyes:

... now I find me, myself & I have toooo many eggs ... so I thought I'd make a Bread-n-Butter pudding. Needed some ideas for something a little different and found this ...
I thought the Yolk was on you Mucks eggs try again:D :D
Nice recipes:thumb:

Reaction score
chefs

Blimey you lot are chefs, i make do with my trusty microwave, veg steamer & wok!:D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
lol, careful triplex... you might find yourself getting corrupted!

Me I hate baking (My cakes come out like bricks & my bikkies in big sticky puddles) But I love cooking. Although all of my recipies are self adapted so, although I cook all sorts of 'foriegn foods' (John's definition... mind you, he thinks cauliflower & brussel sprouts are foriegn food) None of it actually bears any resemblance to the recipie books. & I confess that I'm quite happy to accept assistance from Watties or 'five Brothers' in my concoctions.

Ask a Question