Today I learned...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Til
2047692-a-woodsman-s-axe-at-rest-in-a-block-of-wood-which-is-in-front-of-a-large-pile-of-cut-logs.jpg

You can split logs using just your left hand/arm and a real woodmans axe. It is darn tricky though. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Today I learned that the world's oldest person attributes her long life to eating raw eggs for breakfast every day :eek:

Ms Morano's longevity, she admits, is partly down to genetics - her mother reached 91, and several sisters reached their centenary - and partly, she claims, down to a rather unusual diet of three eggs - two raw - each day for more than 90 years.

It was a regime she took up as a young woman, after the doctor diagnosed her with anaemia shortly after the World War One.

These days, she has cut down to just two eggs a day, and a few biscuits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38134004

Don't know if that's a habit I'd be willing to take up...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
On his 99th birthday, comedian George Burns was asked, "What is the secret to a long life?"
Burns replied, "Keep breathing." :D

I remember the old Readers Digest section called "Laughter Is The Best Medicine", and it seems that it has an effect on longevity too. "Anatomy of an Illness" was a best seller by Norman Cousins and
in it he described how he survived a life-threatening ailment by incorporating belly laughs into his daily medical regimen.

"With the support of his doctors, he devised a plan to help combat his illness by including large doses of laughter. The results were revelatory. Ten minutes of belly laughs produced an anesthetic effect that allowed at least two hours of pain-free sleep. Sedimentation rates taken before and after those laughter exercises provided quantifiable evidence that laughing is indeed good medicine."

"And studies have confirmed that belly laughs produce some of the same cardiovascular benefits as strenuous exercise. A good laugh can actually burn off calories. It also stimulates circulation and aids digestion."

"In a study of patients subjected to prolonged hospitalization, laughter improved morale, decreased anxiety and restored a feeling of wellness and calm."

"For many, laughter reduces stress better than vodka or Valium. Plus it's salt-free, low calorie, polyunsaturated, you don't need a prescription, it doesn't cost a penny, and there are no harmful side effects."

Beats raw eggs any day. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TIL that I will officially be a home owner on Dec 14th. :dance:

You property magnate you ;)

Um, maybe I daft, but I don't understand that eggnog reference. I know that's advocaat (spelling?) but other than that what ho-ho-ho got to do with bottled alcoholic omelettes?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL that Antarctica is the world's biggest desert. It's not about sand but the amount of rainfall that defines a desert.

"A desert is technically defined as an area which has on average less than 250mm of rain per year. However, annual rainfall could be as low as 20mm, leading to periods of intense dryness which often last for several years and sometimes followed by periods of heavy rainfall."

More HERE

Reaction score
I have been to parts of the Great Basin Desert when driving up to Mount Charles the is a point in the Road where you can see three states Nevada, Arizona & Utah and Redrock Canyon backs onto the Great Basin Desert. In the winter it is covered with snow and people go skiing at the top of Mount Charles which is 10,000 feet above sea level

Ask a Question