TIF subfolder inside Temp folder at Local Settings--Safe to delete?

eli

Hello:

At Documents and Settings-->User Name-->Local Settings, I have a subfolder
named: Temp.

In it, there is another subfolder named: "Temporary Internet Files", which
in turn contains another subfolder named: "Content. IE5".

Can I safely delete that entire TIF subfolder, or just its contents?

I currently use Firefox 2.0 as my default browser, so the contents of that
Content.IE5 subfolder are firefox files.

TIA
-Eli

Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
Firefox 2.0

Don Varnau

Hi,
It's safer to clear the cache (TIF) through the browser's options. But, it
should be safe to delete a Temporary Internet Files folder- it will be
recreated on restart.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

eli

Don Varnau wrote:

<<<Hi,
It's safer to clear the cache (TIF) through the browser's options. But, it
should be safe to delete a Temporary Internet Files folder- it will be
recreated on restart.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]
=======================
Thanks Don:

I did try deleting that folder directly from %Temp% , but it didn't
recreate itself at Startup. So I restored it from the Recycle Bin..

I can't seem to delete all the cache via the IE 7 browser, as Firefox is now
my default browser. The cache files which remain in those TIF subfolders are
Firefox type files. I have IE 7 set up so as to delete IE cache when browser
shuts down.

Would it be safer to simply delete the individual cache items in the TIF
folder? Clearing the cache from within Firefox doesnt get rid of these
either, as it seems Firefox stores it's cache files elsewhere.

Thanks in advance:

-Eli
************************************

eli said:
Hello:

At Documents and Settings-->User Name-->Local Settings, I have a subfolder
named: Temp.

In it, there is another subfolder named: "Temporary Internet Files", which
in turn contains another subfolder named: "Content. IE5".

Can I safely delete that entire TIF subfolder, or just its contents?

I currently use Firefox 2.0 as my default browser, so the contents of
that
Content.IE5 subfolder are firefox files.

TIA
-Eli

Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
Firefox 2.0

Don Varnau

Go to Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings. What's
the current location of the Temporary Internet Files folder? If your TIF
folder is at [C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files] (you will have to be able to see hidden and system files) I
wouldn't worry about the other being recreated.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

eli

Don wrote:

<<
Go to Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings. What's
the current location of the Temporary Internet Files folder? If your TIF
folder is at [C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files] (you will have to be able to see hidden and system files) I
wouldn't worry about the other being recreated.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]
===============================

Yes Don.

That's where it shows Temporary Internet Files folder to be located. But
when I do navigate there via Windows Explorer, I find a number of oddly
named subfolders with Firefox type files in them. It seems that the IE 7
files are deleted, as they should be, since I haveIE advanced options set to
delete IE Cache when the browser is shut .

My question is:

Can I safely delete those oddly named subfolders within the TIF at the
above-mentioned address?

Thanks again:

-Eli

*****************************

Don Varnau wrote:
It's safer to clear the cache (TIF) through the browser's options. But,
it
should be safe to delete a Temporary Internet Files folder- it will be
recreated on restart.
=======================
Thanks Don:

I can't seem to delete all the cache via the IE 7 browser, as Firefox is now
my default browser. The cache files which remain in those TIF subfolders are
Firefox type files. I have IE 7 set up so as to delete IE cache when browser
shuts down.

Would it be safer to simply delete the individual cache items in the TIF
folder? Clearing the cache from within Firefox doesnt get rid of these
either, as it seems Firefox stores it's cache files elsewhere.

Thanks in advance:

Don Varnau

Hi,
If you're seeing the content.ie5 folders, I (personal opinion) wouldn't
delete those (they will be recreated) but would delete the TIF folder if you
really want to get a fresh start.

For much more on the TIF folders, etc. go to
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/topics
and put index.dat content.ie5 in the "Search this group" field.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

========

Don Varnau said:
Go to Internet Options> General> Temporary Internet Files> Settings.
What's
the current location of the Temporary Internet Files folder? If your TIF
folder is at [C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files] (you will have to be able to see hidden and system files)
wouldn't worry about the other being recreated.
is
now subfolders
are