Thunderbird - delete from server?

walkbet

Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

I know how to use message rules, but this is different.

I was wondering if Thunderbird offers any feature like this. I've
browsed through the extensions, but have not found something that would
enable this specific set of tasks.

Anyone know if it is doable?

Saxman

Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

I know how to use message rules, but this is different.

I was wondering if Thunderbird offers any feature like this. I've
browsed through the extensions, but have not found something that would
enable this specific set of tasks.

Anyone know if it is doable?

I use Thunderbird, but I can read my email and delete spam with my ISP
account. Does doesn't your ISP provide web based email?

walkbet

Hi-

Thanks for this reply. I know that web-based approach is one way to
handle things. My provider does provide web-base email. But the
advantage of the system I currently use is that I can do it all from
one interface. Sort of one-stop-shopping, if you get my gist.
Previously I'd use Outlook Express and I had to open my browser, go to
my provider's site. Log in. Go through my mail to delete/bounce/block
unwanted stuff. Log off. Close my browser. Open OE and then finally
be able to download the okay items. That's way too many steps. In the
system I currently have I open the email client. Click one button
which opens a window that shows me what's waiting on the server. I
delete/bounce/block whatever I don't want & retrieve the remaining
items. So simple!

mike ring

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. The ONLY
reason I prefer this program is that it allows me to preview what is
waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

Can't help with Thunderbird, I use Opera.I use Poptray for this (with Opera), and find it excellent.

http://www.poptray.org/

Multiple accounts, rules, multiline filters with regex, black and white
lists.

I would suggest using it anyhow, because it's so fast.

As I remember Thunderbired, speedy it wasn't.

(Puts on flameproof undies)

:)

mike

Gord McFee

Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

I know how to use message rules, but this is different.

I was wondering if Thunderbird offers any feature like this. I've
browsed through the extensions, but have not found something that would
enable this specific set of tasks.

Anyone know if it is doable?

Only through third party software such as Mailwasher, or through the web
interface.

John Fitzsimons

Hi folks~
I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

< snip >

How many accounts do you have ? If only one then you could "check
on server" (before downloading) using the last freeware version of
Mailwasher.

Or you could try K9.

http://keir.net/k9.html

Or POP3 Scan Mailbox. It is however hard to find it these days. You
can however find info at ;

http://web.archive.org/web/20010406111620/http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kempston/smb/index.html

At least the second download link at ;

http://web.archive.org/web/20010207185858/www.netcomuk.co.uk/~kempston/smb/smb32un.html

works.

Regards, John.

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

walkbet

Wow, So many great suggestions. The good news here is that I can
download and start using Thunderbird (or Opera ... I'd forgotten about
that program) knowing that I'll find a good 3rd party utility to help
me filter from the server. Cool!

Thanks for all your input. If you have any more advice, please keep
posting. I'll keep reading!

mike ring

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Wow, So many great suggestions. The good news here is that I can
download and start using Thunderbird (or Opera ... I'd forgotten about
that program) knowing that I'll find a good 3rd party utility to help
me filter from the server. Cool!

Thanks for all your input. If you have any more advice, please keep
posting. I'll keep reading!
Good luck- I ought to mention that I used Mailwasher for years and loved
it, but I changed because IMO Poptray was better. If you want to try it:-

http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/alp.htm

mailwasher's at the top

mike

Eric Huebner

Am 18 Nov 2005 08:31:54 -0800 schrieb (e-mail address removed):
Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

I know how to use message rules, but this is different.

I was wondering if Thunderbird offers any feature like this. I've
browsed through the extensions, but have not found something that would
enable this specific set of tasks.

Anyone know if it is doable?

check these options:
get new messages automatically
only read headlines
leave messages on server

(i use the german version so the naming might not be correct)

Paul_B

Hi folks~

I am very interested in downloading and using Thunderbird. I currently
use a program called "Incredimail". The ONLY reason I prefer this
program is that it allows me to preview what is waiting on the server
before I collect mail into my inbox. With this feature I can block
senders, delete and bounce messages all before I download anything to
my Inbox. It's a feature I really appreciate.

I know how to use message rules, but this is different.

I was wondering if Thunderbird offers any feature like this. I've
browsed through the extensions, but have not found something that would
enable this specific set of tasks.

Anyone know if it is doable?

You can come close. In his post to this thread, Eric shows how to
download headers only. You can additionally set the Bird to
delete from the server automatically when you delete the mail
sample from your inbox. This is not quite as good as your method,
because it's generally easier to nuke a few bad mails than accept
many good ones individually. Using this feature on spammy
accounts only helps.

With version 1.5, you can also use your filters at the remote
server. I have no need for this, because of my next suggestion,
but this should do what you want, except you will not be able to
visually inspect before the filters act.

You can use a local mail server which has plain text regular
expression filtering. This is much more powerful than anything
TB, and most mailers, has at present. I use Hamster (Playground)
to do just this. All kill filters act at the server.

Paul

David

(e-mail address removed) wrote in

Good luck- I ought to mention that I used Mailwasher for years and loved
it, but I changed because IMO Poptray was better. If you want to try it:-

http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/alp.htm

mailwasher's at the top

mike

PopCorn on the list gave me a broken link.

http://www.pricelessware.org/files/popsetup.exe
--
David
Remove "farook" to reply

jmatt

Pimmy 3.5 Free vsrsion.
If you want to try a really good free email client & Spam remover, this
is very good.

I can look at my mail on the ISP's server, delete ( spam removal ),
reply, click on links & if I want it on my comp, click on Move to >
Archive.
Use right click for some of the functions.

You can still leave any other email client installed. Just a matter of
choosing which one you want as default.
http://www.geminisoft.com/en/
http://www.geminisoft.com/en/pimmy/default.aspx?idversion=03.05.00
http://www.geminisoft.com/download/pimmy350-english.zip
http://geminisoft.com/geminisoft.eng/
http://geminisoft.com/geminisoft.eng/homepage.asp
http://geminisoft.com/pimmy.eng/frameset.htm
http://geminisoft.com/pimmy.eng/caratteristiche.htm
Pimmy - Your personal postman.

Geminisoft Pimmy lets you manage your electronic mail easily and
everywhere you are. The full
program may be put on a floppy!
What you can do using Pimmy:

* manage an unlimited number of mailboxes;
* read and write messages on newsgroups;
* check for new messages and be warned about them;
* store messages in folders;
* group messages by thread in a new tree view;
* automatically download mail and newsgroup messages from the mailboxes
you desire to one or more folders;
* use filters to decide what messages to download and where;
* read on-line only the message in which you are interested in, not
downloading all and leaving mail on the server until you decide to
delete them;
* read a preview of first 200 lines of a message on-line without
reading it completely or dowloading it;
* delete a message on-line without reading it completely or dowloading
it;
* write your messages off-line and send them when connected to
Internet, moving all sent messages in a special folder;
* send messages using different providers easily;
* manage an address book;
* manage different senders and signatures (even with only one mailbox);

attach files and documents;
* listen to audio files and watch videos using the built-in mini player.

Susan Bugher

John said:
Or you could try K9.

http://keir.net/k9.html

Or POP3 Scan Mailbox. It is however hard to find it these days.

Program: POP3 Scan Mailbox (Pop3 ScanMail)
Author: Kempston Software
Ware: (Freeware) (free for non-commercial use)
http://www.kempston.net/smb/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware