Thunderbird 2 RC1 Released


K

Kevin Young

For those frustrated or having difficulties with Windows Mail or Windows
Live Mail desktop, Mozilla now has Thunderbird 2 RC1 available here if
you would like to give it a try:

<http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/2.0.0.0/releasenotes/>

One of the New features listed in Thunderbird 2 RC 1 is:

* Windows Vista Support: Many enhancements and fixes for Windows Vista.

I have been running Thunderbird 1.5 and now 2.0 under Vista Ultimate and
find it easily outperforms WM or WLMd. Thunderbird is also more
reliable and stable than WM or WLMd. In addition, similar to Firefox,
Thunderbird allows for a host of add-ins and themes to make it work and
look the way you want it to. With the Lightning add-in you can even add
Calendaring capabilities similar to Outlook into Thunderbird.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

DGuess

Hate to rain on your parade, but RC1 is still not finished code and I would
think that people were ticked off already enough on something that isn't
working right to go install something else that is capable of not working
right.

You got stock in valium and other drugs like that or something? :)
 
G

Guest

Man, I too have been an avid Thunderbird user for a long time (I just decided
to see what WLMD was like), but I would have to say that your message reeks
to high Heaven of a "subtle" advertisement. :)
 
K

Kevin Young

DGuess said:
Hate to rain on your parade, but RC1 is still not finished code and I
would think that people were ticked off already enough on something that
isn't working right to go install something else that is capable of not
working right.

You got stock in valium and other drugs like that or something? :)
I did indicate it was RC1, in other words a Release Candidate, but point
taken. Should also be noted that WLMd is still in beta not even a
Release Candidate yet and Windows Mail feels like it is still beta even
though it is final. I seem to be having better success with Thunderbird
even in an RC version but others may prefer to wait for the final
version 2 release or consider the 1.5 released version.
 
D

DGuess

You'd be suprised how many people don't know what a beta or an RC is and
then whine to high heaven about it.

I'm refraining on giving my opinion of Windows Mail. It was tested but it
seems no one cared to actually listen.
 
K

Kevin Young

Stephen said:
Man, I too have been an avid Thunderbird user for a long time (I just decided
to see what WLMD was like), but I would have to say that your message reeks
to high Heaven of a "subtle" advertisement. :)
Well I posted the message for a few reasons:
1. RC1 was just released in the last week or so so it seems news worthy.
2. Although the newsgroups I posted the message to are targeted at MS
products, Thunderbird is a direct competitor to both WM and WLMd so
comparing them seemed fair.
3. After reading several threads here such as: Why does Vista and
email have to be so painful, Hate new Windows Mail, Windows Mail is a
piece of crap - it would seem like others might be searching for
alternatives.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Kevin Young

Kevin said:
Well I posted the message for a few reasons:
1. RC1 was just released in the last week or so so it seems news worthy.
2. Although the newsgroups I posted the message to are targeted at MS
products, Thunderbird is a direct competitor to both WM and WLMd so
comparing them seemed fair.
3. After reading several threads here such as: Why does Vista and
email have to be so painful, Hate new Windows Mail, Windows Mail is a
piece of crap - it would seem like others might be searching for
alternatives.

P.S. I just re-read my initial post and agree that it sounds like
....not very subtle... advertisement. ;-) Oh well, if it makes someone
aware that there are alternatives, great!
 
D

DGuess

P.S. I just re-read my initial post and agree that it sounds like ...not
very subtle... advertisement. ;-) Oh well, if it makes someone aware
that there are alternatives, great!


Well, considering they're peer to peer support newsgroups for WLMd and
WinMail, it's off topic no matter how good or bad someone thinks of the
software.
 
R

Ron P

Kevin Young said:
Well I posted the message for a few reasons:
1. RC1 was just released in the last week or so so it seems news worthy.
2. Although the newsgroups I posted the message to are targeted at MS
products, Thunderbird is a direct competitor to both WM and WLMd so
comparing them seemed fair.
3. After reading several threads here such as: Why does Vista and email
have to be so painful, Hate new Windows Mail, Windows Mail is a piece of
crap - it would seem like others might be searching for alternatives.

Earlier pre-release versions of TB wouldn't import messages from Windows
Mail. Do you know if this version does now? If not, any workarounds known?
I tried an earlier alpha release and although it looked promising, I
couldn't get my current mail transferred over. Thx
 
K

Kevin Young

Ron said:
Earlier pre-release versions of TB wouldn't import messages from Windows
Mail. Do you know if this version does now? If not, any workarounds
known? I tried an earlier alpha release and although it looked
promising, I couldn't get my current mail transferred over. Thx

The import email command does not list Windows Mail as an option in TB 2
RC1. Here is the work around I would suggest:

Set-up an IMAP email account with Fastmail here:

<http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?STKI=1147180>

You can choose between a Free, $14.95, $19.95 or $39.95 account
depending on storage requirements, email volume and other factors. Try
a free account for starters as you can always upgrade it to a more full
featured account once you are satisfied it will meet your needs. Add
your new IMAP email account to Windows Mail:

IMAP Server: mail.messagingengine.com

SMTP Server: mail.messagingengine.com Turn authentication on.

Copy your saved message folders in Windows Mail to the new IMAP server
that appears in Windows Mail and now all your saved email will be
accessible from folders on the server. Next set-up the same IMAP
account in Thunderbird and all your email will now be accessible in
Thunderbird or any other email client that supports IMAP for that
matter. Messages can be dragged to and from the IMAP server and since
your stored email now resides on the server you can access it using most
email clients or using web mail from any computer connected to the Internet.

Some of the other advantages of Fastmail are:
- Multiple Identities - you can send email from Fastmail making it
appear to be coming from any of your other email addresses

- Virtual Domains - use your own email domain through Fastmail i.e.
(e-mail address removed)

- Unlimited Aliases - create as many email addresses as you would like
(Fastmail has numerous domain names you can use) and funnel all the
email through a single account

- Pull in pop mail and hotmail in to your account

- Server based messaging rules, spam\virus protection, signatures
 
R

Ron P

Kevin Young said:
The import email command does not list Windows Mail as an option in TB 2
RC1. Here is the work around I would suggest:

Set-up an IMAP email account with Fastmail here:

<http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?STKI=1147180>

You can choose between a Free, $14.95, $19.95 or $39.95 account depending
on storage requirements, email volume and other factors. Try a free
account for starters as you can always upgrade it to a more full featured
account once you are satisfied it will meet your needs. Add your new IMAP
email account to Windows Mail:

IMAP Server: mail.messagingengine.com

SMTP Server: mail.messagingengine.com Turn authentication on.

Copy your saved message folders in Windows Mail to the new IMAP server
that appears in Windows Mail and now all your saved email will be
accessible from folders on the server. Next set-up the same IMAP account
in Thunderbird and all your email will now be accessible in Thunderbird or
any other email client that supports IMAP for that matter. Messages can
be dragged to and from the IMAP server and since your stored email now
resides on the server you can access it using most email clients or using
web mail from any computer connected to the Internet.

Some of the other advantages of Fastmail are:
- Multiple Identities - you can send email from Fastmail making it appear
to be coming from any of your other email addresses

- Virtual Domains - use your own email domain through Fastmail i.e.
(e-mail address removed)

- Unlimited Aliases - create as many email addresses as you would like
(Fastmail has numerous domain names you can use) and funnel all the email
through a single account

- Pull in pop mail and hotmail in to your account

- Server based messaging rules, spam\virus protection, signatures

Super, thanks!
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PTravel

Very nice, but it still cannot import accounts or messages from Vista's
Windows Mail. If there was a way to do that, I'd switch in a minute, as I
just got burned with the "can't delete and out-going email" bug, had to do a
backup restore and lost some email in the process.
 
K

Kevin Young

Hal9000 said:
Sorry you feel that way. You certainly don't have to agree with what I
posted but I don't believe being rude and insulting is all that
productive.
 
K

Kevin Young

PTravel said:
Very nice, but it still cannot import accounts or messages from Vista's
Windows Mail. If there was a way to do that, I'd switch in a minute, as
I just got burned with the "can't delete and out-going email" bug, had
to do a backup restore and lost some email in the process.
Read my earlier response to Ron P above in this thread which outlines
one way to move your email from WM to TB. The IMAP email account makes
switching between any email client simple. I presently have access to
my primary IMAP email account and message store in Outlook, Outlook
Express, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail desktop and
Evolution running under XP, Vista, Ubuntu or Suse on various boxes.

Setting up your accounts in TB isn't that difficult, not really any
different than in WM or WLMd. If you need help with it just ask.
 
P

PTravel

Kevin Young said:
Read my earlier response to Ron P above in this thread which outlines one
way to move your email from WM to TB. The IMAP email account makes
switching between any email client simple. I presently have access to my
primary IMAP email account and message store in Outlook, Outlook Express,
Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail desktop and Evolution running
under XP, Vista, Ubuntu or Suse on various boxes.

Setting up your accounts in TB isn't that difficult, not really any
different than in WM or WLMd. If you need help with it just ask.

Thanks, but the reason I want to import my messages is because I have many
thousands in various folders. I don't want to deal with them by exchanging
them with an internet service, particularly one that charges. I also need
to manage at least 6 different email accounts. This simply isn't a
practical solution. If Mozilla wants to claim Vista-compatibility with
Thunderbird, it's going to have to address this rather obvious oversight.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Kevin Young

PTravel said:
Thanks, but the reason I want to import my messages is because I have
many thousands in various folders. I don't want to deal with them by
exchanging them with an internet service, particularly one that
charges. I also need to manage at least 6 different email accounts.
This simply isn't a practical solution. If Mozilla wants to claim
Vista-compatibility with Thunderbird, it's going to have to address this
rather obvious oversight.

Fair enough, you need to find an email provider and client you're
comfortable with. If you get a chance I'd encourage you to try out a
free IMAP email account with whatever email client you decide on just to
learn more about the flexibility IMAP accounts offer.
 
G

Guest

Kevin:

I've been trying WLMD and TB and have to say that I still prefer TB for a
number of reasons, primarily the fact that WLMD forces users to resort to the
MSN Messenger contact list as an address book. Big problem - if I want to
remove a contact from Messenger, they drop off my WLMD address book by
default.

I also love TB 2's use of "labels" a la Gmail. You can give an email
multiple labels and then search quickly for it or sort under the labels.

Anyway, I just find that TB is a much better, feature-rich product than
WLMD. There's nothing wrong with saying such a thing in this newsgroup,
because comparing the two is most certainly "on topic".
 
H

Hal9000

sorry.

Kevin Young said:
Sorry you feel that way. You certainly don't have to agree with what I
posted but I don't believe being rude and insulting is all that
productive.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top