The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs).

hi,

I've got this problem of clients not updating their PTR records and
(sometimes) even their A records.

Below is event log message. DNS servers addresses are correct. DNS zone is
AD-integrated. The problem I see in this log is that the client is sending
the update to 10.1.1.1. I have no such subnet in my company.

Client: WIndows XP Pro SP2 x86
server: Win2k3 Standard R2 SP2 x64
DNS zone AD integrated, DHCP server - Cisco router.

Is there a setting in DHCP server to tell client where to send the DNS
updates?

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11163
Date: 2007.04.12
Time: 03:20:24
User: N/A
Computer: JZN-NB10
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network
adapter with settings:

Adapter Name : {03F0F92F-17B8-40B3-ACD1-D65F7EC8CE1D}
Host Name : jzn-nb10
Primary Domain Suffix : doleta.lt
DNS server list :
10.20.113.248, 10.20.113.252
Sent update to server : 10.1.1.1
IP Address(es) :
10.19.246.235

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS
server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the
authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock
in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its
settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems
still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, does the issue occur on all Windows XP clients?

Also please check the following settings on DC:
The groups 'Everyone', 'Authenticated Users', 'Administrators' and
'Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access' were removed from "Access this
computer from the network" on the Default Domain Controllers Policy.
Without "Everyone" group, member servers or workstations are unable to
register or dynamically update their records on the DNS zone if it is
configured to "Secure Only".

Access this computer from the network
NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
Domain\Domain Users
Domain\IWAM_DC
Domain\IUSR_DC

We modified the Default Domain Controllers Policy by configuring "Access
this computer from the network" back to its default, listing the following
groups with permissions:

Access this computer from the network
Administrators
Authenticated Users
NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
Domain\Domain Users
Domain\IWAM_DC
Domain\IUSR_DC
Everyone
Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

-----------------
| Event Type: Warning
| Event Source: DnsApi
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 11163
| Date: 2007.04.12
| Time: 03:20:24
| User: N/A
| Computer: JZN-NB10
| The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network
| adapter with settings:
|
| Adapter Name : {03F0F92F-17B8-40B3-ACD1-D65F7EC8CE1D}
| Host Name : jzn-nb10
| Primary Domain Suffix : doleta.lt
| DNS server list :
| 10.20.113.248, 10.20.113.252
| Sent update to server : 10.1.1.1
| IP Address(es) :
| 10.19.246.235
|
| The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS
| server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that
the
| authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a
lock
| in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.
|
| You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its
| settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If
problems
| still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

Ken,

the setting 'Access this computer from the network' on my DC is:
Administrators
Authenticated Users
NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
Domain\Domain Users
Domain\IWAM_DC
Domain\IUSR_DC
Everyone
Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access

I'd like to emphasize that clients SOMETIMES cannot update their A records
while sometimes they can. (sometimes if I try to access a client by it's DNS
name I'm unable to do so because it's Ip address has changed).

PRoblem with PTR records is different. Client in one subnet are able to
update their PTR records while client in other subnet - can't (always). All
client are in the same DNS zone but on different subnets (branch offices).

Andrius

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Andrius,

For the current situation, the issue seems to be happening on some machines
intermittently. Please help us confirm the following setting on the
problematic machines:

1. Right click Local Network Connection and select Properties.
2. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click Properties\Advanced button
3. In DNS tab, please make sure if you have checked the option "Register
this connection's addresses in DNS".

If the problem persists, please check if there is event error about A
record register error in application/system event log.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: The system failed to register host (A) resource records
(RRs).
| Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:28:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Ken,
|
| the setting 'Access this computer from the network' on my DC is:
| Administrators
| Authenticated Users
| NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| Domain\Domain Users
| Domain\IWAM_DC
| Domain\IUSR_DC
| Everyone
| Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access
|
| I'd like to emphasize that clients SOMETIMES cannot update their A
records
| while sometimes they can. (sometimes if I try to access a client by it's
DNS
| name I'm unable to do so because it's Ip address has changed).
|
| PRoblem with PTR records is different. Client in one subnet are able to
| update their PTR records while client in other subnet - can't (always).
All
| client are in the same DNS zone but on different subnets (branch offices).
|
| Andrius
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > From your post, does the issue occur on all Windows XP clients?
| >
| > Also please check the following settings on DC:
| > The groups 'Everyone', 'Authenticated Users', 'Administrators' and
| > 'Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access' were removed from "Access this
| > computer from the network" on the Default Domain Controllers Policy.
| > Without "Everyone" group, member servers or workstations are unable to
| > register or dynamically update their records on the DNS zone if it is
| > configured to "Secure Only".
| >
| > Access this computer from the network
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------
| > NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| > Domain\Domain Users
| > Domain\IWAM_DC
| > Domain\IUSR_DC
| >
| > We modified the Default Domain Controllers Policy by configuring
"Access
| > this computer from the network" back to its default, listing the
following
| > groups with permissions:
| >
| > Access this computer from the network
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------
| > Administrators
| > Authenticated Users
| > NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| > Domain\Domain Users
| > Domain\IWAM_DC
| > Domain\IUSR_DC
| > Everyone
| > Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access

"Register this connection's addresses in DNS" was and is checked. Doesn't
make any difference.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > register or dynamically update their records on the DNS zone if it is
| > configured to "Secure Only".
| >
| > Access this computer from the network
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------
| > NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| > Domain\Domain Users
| > Domain\IWAM_DC
| > Domain\IUSR_DC
| >
| > We modified the Default Domain Controllers Policy by configuring
"Access
| > this computer from the network" back to its default, listing the
following
| > groups with permissions:
| >
| > Access this computer from the network
| > --------------------------------------------------------------------
| > Administrators
| > Authenticated Users
| > NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS

For the current situation, I suggest you try to reset TCP/IP component in
Windows XP to see if it can help:
299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Best regards,

Ken Zhao
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: The system failed to register host (A) resource records
(RRs).
| Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:42:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" was and is checked. Doesn't
| make any difference.
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Andrius,
| >
| > For the current situation, the issue seems to be happening on some
machines
| > intermittently. Please help us confirm the following setting on the
| > problematic machines:
| >
| > 1. Right click Local Network Connection and select Properties.
| > 2. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click Properties\Advanced
button
| > 3. In DNS tab, please make sure if you have checked the option
| > this connection's addresses in DNS".
| >
| > If the problem persists, please check if there is event error about A
| > record register error in application/system event log.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: The system failed to register host (A) resource records
| > (RRs).
| > | Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:28:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | Ken,
| > |
| > | the setting 'Access this computer from the network' on my DC is:
| > | Administrators
| > | Authenticated Users
| > | NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| > | Domain\Domain Users
| > | Domain\IWAM_DC
| > | Domain\IUSR_DC
| > | Everyone
| > | Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access
| > |
| > | I'd like to emphasize that clients SOMETIMES cannot update their A
| > records
| > | while sometimes they can. (sometimes if I try to access a client by
it's
| > DNS
| > | name I'm unable to do so because it's Ip address has changed).
| > |
| > | PRoblem with PTR records is different. Client in one subnet are able
| > | update their PTR records while client in other subnet - can't
(always).
| > All
| > | client are in the same DNS zone but on different subnets (branch
offices).
| > |
| > | Andrius
| > |
| > | ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
| > |

Policy.

| > "Access
| > following

| > |
| > |

Ken,
I am having the same issue with my PCs. Your last response worked for a
day or two. I am currently having the individuals diabling and enabling
their LAN connection when they cannot connect.
My situation is a little different than Andrius'. We have Exchange 2003
and Outlook will show disconnected. That is how we know they are not
connected. All the problems 'popped' up a few weeks to a month after we
started using Exchange. Exchange 2003 is on a server running Windows Server
2003.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly benneficial.
--
Sincerely,
The IT Guy

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hi Andrius,

For the current situation, I suggest you try to reset TCP/IP component in
Windows XP to see if it can help:
299357: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

Best regards,

Ken Zhao
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with
break/fix issues and simple how to questions.

We also love to hear your product feedback!
Let us know what you think by posting
from the web interface: Partner Feedback
from your newsreader: microsoft.private.directaccess.partnerfeedback.
We look forward to hearing from you!
that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: The system failed to register host (A) resource records
(RRs).
| Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:42:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" was and is checked. Doesn't
| make any difference.
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hi Andrius,
| >
| > For the current situation, the issue seems to be happening on some
machines
| > intermittently. Please help us confirm the following setting on the
| > problematic machines:
| >
| > 1. Right click Local Network Connection and select Properties.
| > 2. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click Properties\Advanced
button
| > 3. In DNS tab, please make sure if you have checked the option
| > this connection's addresses in DNS".
| >
| > If the problem persists, please check if there is event error about A
| > record register error in application/system event log.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: The system failed to register host (A) resource records
| > (RRs).
| > | Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:28:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | Ken,
| > |
| > | the setting 'Access this computer from the network' on my DC is:
| > | Administrators
| > | Authenticated Users
| > | NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS
| > | Domain\Domain Users
| > | Domain\IWAM_DC
| > | Domain\IUSR_DC
| > | Everyone
| > | Pre-Windows 2000 Compatible Access
| > |
| > | I'd like to emphasize that clients SOMETIMES cannot update their A
| > records
| > | while sometimes they can. (sometimes if I try to access a client by
it's
| > DNS
| > | name I'm unable to do so because it's Ip address has changed).
| > |
| > | PRoblem with PTR records is different. Client in one subnet are able
| > | update their PTR records while client in other subnet - can't
(always).
| > All
| > | client are in the same DNS zone but on different subnets (branch
offices).
| > |
| > | Andrius
| > |