The S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl General Chat Thread

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
i think i will do without the endurance mod, to get a more fuller experience. No cheatin here :D
and the float 32 increases performance , or sort of?
since i dont have vista or a 8800 series, do i really need the drivers? i figured the 94.xx were the ones to use for a xp user
The endurance mod aint cheating imo, But thats up to you. :)

Float32 make the game look better and increases the frame rate, so yes. Well worth it i say. As i said it will be part of the official 1.4 patch, so thats speaks for itself. All you do is add the file to your stalker dir and maybe edit one word in the fsgame.ltx file and your done.

I dont have vista either, the new drivers are XP and 2000 only. (Nvidia pulled the beta vista drivers a few hours after release as they had reports from users that they broke DX10!) But the drivers work with all cards, and really do make a difference, i've been playing stalker quite a bit again tonight, including some old saves to see how it runs. In places the frame rate sat above 100 at max detail on 1280x1024, i never saw 100 fps before the drivers or the mod...

So imo, they are well worth it, and i've tried quite a few different ones, including the quatro drivers, which are supposed to be good for games. (they didn't like my rig....)

Honestly try the 162.15's. Whats the worst that can happen? You will have to reinstall the old ones, not the end of the world. :)

PG, i want to see the 1.4 patch too, will play the game again anyway i reckon, as i enjoyed it so much, Its madness really am waiting for Atari to release the first patch for TDU that was due mid June aswell! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
V_R, im sure the quatro drivers are supposed to be used one the.... Quatro series :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Alf said:
V_R, im sure the quatro drivers are supposed to be used one the.... Quatro series :D
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1640

This driver has been released by NVIDIA as a professional series Quadro driver. Despite that any GeForce card starting from Series 5 to date (GeForce 8800 ultra) is supported. Our forums show reports that this actually is a good driver for gaming as well.

;)

Having said that, they didn't like my pc, when i changed the colour settings in the control panel, the screen took on a red 'overlay' with only the mouse cursor staying its original colour... Odd....

I know Flops was and maybe still is running the above Quatro drivers, it was him over at BBF that put me onto them. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd need a steering wheel wouldn't I?

I've had enough of spending money on the old PC.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No i dont think there is, but there's plenty of video's out there, you tube etc.

Anyway as i have almost finished Stalker, (in Pripyat, about to go to NNP ittself!) I am going to have a quick session. maybe even finish it tonight... :D

Reaction score
V_R said:
No i dont think there is, but there's plenty of video's out there, you tube etc.

Anyway as i have almost finished Stalker, (in Pripyat, about to go to NNP ittself!) I am going to have a quick session. maybe even finish it tonight... :D

Wow!

Did you finish it?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes and no, there's three different places when you can 'finish' it, that i found anyway.

Forgive me for sounding a little vague, but i dont want to spoil it for you. :)

The Wish Granter, which is a false ending, and then in another place that the name escapes me, if you choose to do something. But if you choose the other option you go back out side and thats when i realized it was 3am, so i decided to continue today!

I got some screen shots if ya like. They wont spoil it though. ;)

Reaction score
Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I take it that was a yes??
laughingsmiley.gif

Here you go then... Resized from 1280x1024, max detail with the Float32 mod. Shame the Jpeg's dont do it full justice.

The first three are in Pripyat, then the rest at the plant.

The famous Ferris wheel in Pripyat
attachment.php

Going through the Hotel clearing out the baddies
attachment.php

The wheel again
attachment.php

The cut sceen on the way to Chernobyl
attachment.php

Meltdown
attachment.php

Inside the plant
attachment.php

Bumpmapping!
attachment.php

Poor guy
attachment.php

The door you have to use the decoder on.
attachment.php

Back outside, looking at the plant.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Stalker1.jpg
    Stalker1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • Stalker3.jpg
    Stalker3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 369
  • Stalker4.jpg
    Stalker4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 417
  • Stalker5.jpg
    Stalker5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Stalker6.jpg
    Stalker6.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Stalker7.jpg
    Stalker7.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Stalker8.jpg
    Stalker8.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 348
  • Stalker9.jpg
    Stalker9.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 392
  • Stalker10.jpg
    Stalker10.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Stalker11.jpg
    Stalker11.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 354
Reaction score
Those guns you have look crazy!

The powerstation looks well creepy inside.

You had to fight loads of those mind attacking things?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah you get some cool weapons later in the game. My favorite is the GP 37, in the top pic, its one of the most accurate guns i found. The Gauss gun in the sixth pis good, but you only get it in the plant.

The plant is full of monolith soldiers, wearing exoskeletons, and carrying big guns!

Reaction score
Lol. I'll look forward to that.

Had a few hours today which I spent cracking on a bit and I've been told to go to the X16 labs.

Sounds difficult and creepy.

I downloaded the endurance/float32 mod but the latter has little performance increase for me. In fact at first when it started raining the screen went crappy and I couldn't play.

I sorted out the rain thing but it doesn't give any real performance increase. Just makes it kind of stuttery.

Thats what I get for not have an 8800 :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Did you use this one?

Did you put it in the stalker dir? You have to do it exactly right or it wont work, you should have the float folder in there with the gamedata folder and user.ltx file in that. Also you may need to modify the fsgame.ltx file too. Tried that? The second line in mine reads..

Code:
$game_data$		   = true|		true|	$fs_root$|		gamedata\

Make a copy of it before you change it just incase.

X16 is good. :thumb:

Reaction score
:thumb:

Thats how I fixed the crappy rain thing.

I have version 1.5267a

Things look a little prettier, the mapping is improved but performane is still below par.

Going to kick on now and get to the labs :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've just been playin Dirt full game, so think i will crack on and finish Stalker now, before i get too into Dirt.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i was closer to the end than i thought, played for another 5-10 mins and just finished it! :cool:

I have to say, even if it is a little buggy, Stalker was one of the best games i've played in a long time!

If your reading this and dont have this game yet, i would seriously consider buying it. Its one of the few games that you really get your money's worth from, hours of game play time. :thumb:

Now i will play Dirt and then start this again me thinks. :D