The S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl General Chat Thread

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Dunno if anyone's interested, but i figured that now we have a few members that have or are getting this game maybe we should have a general 'chat' thread. :)

So, if ya playing this, what do ya think? Like it? Hate it? Maybe your stuck somewhere?

I personally am really getting into it now. Going through the X16 Labs in Yantar at the mo, scary stuff!! :eek:

One thing i dont like is that most of the weapons seem to be a little inaccurate....and no its not my aim! :D

By the way PG did you know theres a Stalker suit at the beginning of the game? In the rafters of one of the houses behind 'Wolf'

Anyway, thought i'd post a few screenshot for ya all. (Resized to 800x600 from 1280x1024)

Graphics setup is below running at 1280x1024 with Full Dynamic Lighting. Gives me around 40-70fps depending on whats going on.

Pics from the X16 Labs. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 705
  • Stalker1.jpg
    Stalker1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 726
  • Stalker2.jpg
    Stalker2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Stalker3.jpg
    Stalker3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 670
  • Stalker4.jpg
    Stalker4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 625

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've always wondered, really, why do most fps games always seem to feature a really disgusting, dirty, crap-encrusted karzi? :D

Are game creators obsessed with human bodily functions?

Curious people need to know this thing :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lol, yeah the bogs do look very nasty, adds to the atmosphere i guess. Just as well you dont get the smells in game too!
laughingsmiley.gif

Shame the reduced shots dont do the graphics justice, But theres lots of bump mapping going on.

You gonna get this Flops?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... theres a Stalker suit at the beginning of the game? In the rafters of one of the houses behind 'Wolf'
Yep, but how the hell do you retrieve it ... :wall:

I hate this "game" despite having several 'walk-though' pages of information ... I die a lot. :rolleyes:

:blush:

Reaction score
Game came just now off the postman. Just installing the patch and then I'll be on my way :D

I have no idea where that may be right now VR, but thanks for the heads up because I'm sure I'll be using it in a couple of minutes :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Yep, but how the hell do you retrieve it ...
wallbash.gif
Have you found the crate its in?

You need to get on the roof and jump to the other roof. Then walk round the roof to the hoel, you can see it through the hole in the roof. Shoot the crate and you should be able to grab it.

Check out this vid on YT. :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well thanks for that V_R ... but, there is always a but, despite the fact I am the worlds #1 authority on getting on the roof & jumping to the other, and can do it all in one go ... and 'finding' the crate & shootin is no problem ...

:rolleyes:

I STILL CANNOT "GRAB" THE FECKIN THING

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah bugger, did you knock it further away? Have you tried low crouching? (Shift and control together)

muckshifter

Reaction score
V_R said:
Ah bugger, did you knock it further away? Have you tried low crouching? (Shift and control together)
I have no idea ... I know what the controls are, but my fingers are in the wrong place. :D

I ain't a contortionist ... why can we not use the arrow keys for movement ... I have never been very good with the W. A. S. keyboard. :blush:

:(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats a bugger, if you cant reach it, its not the end of the world as you will get one a bit later on anyway. If you cant reach it then your not going to get it because thats the only way to get to it, can only suggest you crouch as low as you can and move round and see if the prompt on-screen comes up. It can be a bit funny sometimes. :thumb:

Reaction score
ANNOYING!!!!!!!!

I just spent a half hour doing up to that mission where you kill the boars/ go a few km north to do something when you have taken out the bandits at the base...

And I went into the boar zone and got radiated on and eaten hideously quickly by hungry dogs.

I died, and hand't saved the bleeding game!!!!

nb: QUICKSAVE. ALWAYS. F5 F5 F5!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah you gotta watch that, i'm a save junkie on stalker, you wait until you get into the later levels, Be sure to save lots!

Did you find the suit? :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
To be honest I think those bleedin dogs should be shot....:D

No seriously I think they hold up the gameplay, I'm always looking around wondering when i'm gonna get bitten and savaged next, and I could be doing other things, It takes my mind away from what I'm up to at the time and it spoils the game in my view...

The games hard enough as it is....:(

I ain't a contortionist ... why can we not use the arrow keys for movement ... I have never been very good with the W. A. S. keyboard

Yeah know exactly what you mean Muck's, I prefer the arrow keys aswell..Usually turn my keyboard 45 degrees find it much easier...:nod:

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Yeah know exactly what you mean Muck's, I prefer the arrow keys aswell..Usually turn my keyboard 45 degrees find it much easier...
Well i like the WSAD keys with stuff on the usual F,G, shift, Ctrl, spacebar etc. I have my G7 that does the shootin, zoom, night vision, pda, inventory and flashlight. Works for me!

So how far is everybody? Anyone completed it yet and if so what ending you get?

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
ANNOYING!!!!!!!

But at least it works ;)

doesn't it?

Could you tell me what kind of settings, fps etc you have..i got a fairly similar system to you, and would like to know :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not sure what FPS I'm getting, but it runs alright on high settings, 1280x1024.

AF & AA are either low or off, but that tweak article that VR gave earlier said that they have no effect in it anyway.

Grass shadows off, Sun shadows on.

Doesn't look polished, but looks impressive considering the magnitude of the space its rendering.

And yeah I found the suit :D

Shame it has no efect on dogs... :(

By the way where/when do you get a flashlight?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice to see it up and running PG. :thumb:

You should get Fraps, would like to know what fps your getting, be warned it does drop quite a bit in places. Have you got Full dynamic lighting on?

I thought the flashlight was with you at the beginning of the game? I seem to remember having it straight away, but cant be 100% sure. Its not hidden in the houses at the cordon camp is it?

I've been toying with the idea of a mod or two now....:D

Various files here....

http://stalker.filefront.com/files/Stalker;52index

Reaction score
Yeah apparently there are already a whole host of mods in the works, even without a SDK being released :eek:
bowdown.gif

With all those textures though there is some serious scope for it.

I just threw caution to the wind and maxed everything out and it runs fine at 1280x1024. Pleased. :D

Occasional framerate slowdown, but its good. You'll be fine michael :thumb:

And I found my flashlight :D

Just had to press L.
wallbash.gif

And cheers for Fraps VR. Going to try it now.

Anyone else interested in Fraps to measure your fps its Here :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
I just threw caution to the wind and maxed everything out and it runs fine at 1280x1024. Pleased. :D

Occasional framerate slowdown, but its good.
Nice, i'm suprised it runs totaly maxed out tbh, you may find you have to turn down the detail a bit later in the game when it all starts kicking off. But looks like that oc is helping. :)

And I found my flashlight, Just had to press L.
Lol, sorry gotta say it, RTFM!!
laughingsmiley.gif