The new iMac range

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Apple just e-mailed me letting me know they have some new kids on the block.

I always get mailed a link to their US site and have to switch to the UK site manually, which doesn't really inspire confidence.

Here's a link to the new range: i7 Architecture

And here's a pic of a system which if I were in the market for one of these, is the spec I would have chosen. It shows the price:

attachment.php

Bear in mind the inclusion of a 256Gb solid state hard drive added £600.00 to the cost.

If you went for just the 1Tb HDD the price is £1800-ish.

As ever the iMac is all-in-one and looks delicious.

But is that spec worth almost two and a half grand?

You do get a backlit led 27" monitor and a 1Gb ATI 5750 grafix card and I do believe it comes with the OS which I think is called OSX and has a name like Snow Leopard. Or Savanah Tiger. Or Water Beetle. Or something.

The available software, to my mind, is also reasonably priced compared to Microsoft-compatible software, even MS's own Office suite is cheaper for the iMac. It isn't, however, cheaper than open source software but that's another subject.

It lacks a decent sound setup, relying on the Monitor's inbuilt stereo speakers.

I think the new iMac is a fabulous piece of kit but is it worth the money?

After some umming and ahhing, soul searching and stroking my 1953 coca-cola bottle top lucky charm, I think it probably is worth the money, just about.

It's good spec, looks very nice indeed and, well, that's about it really.

For myself though, I have no need of one, I am currently taking that meandering path that is Linux/Open Source and trying to steer away from Redmund-based 0's and 1's.

So there you go, this has been Uncle Flops bringing you a public information service :)

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 493
Reaction score
Hi Flopp's....very , very expensive. My bro has a mac and thinks they're the mutts. Also he reckons macs are safer than windows where viruses and trojans etc are concerned. Is this true, these days?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi Flopp's....very , very expensive. My bro has a mac and thinks they're the mutts. Also he reckons macs are safer than windows where viruses and trojans etc are concerned. Is this true, these days?

Probably, yes, I think all the virus writers have found a new fave - Firefox, lol

Is it expensive? I wonder.

Top of the range video card, 27" led backlit monitor, quad core 3Ghz (almost) i7 CPU plus looks to die for. I actually think it's almost fairly priced now.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
My friend has one of these, he put 8GB of RAM and 2x 80GB intel SSD's in RAID0 in it to make it even faster. Boot up time is insanely fast and opening programs etc is almost instant, makes me really want one lol. Only problem is the glass that covers the screen is somewhat prone to acting like a mirror so can see bugger all

I agree with you flopps, they aren't bad value for money if you look at what you get. I still can't see myself parting with £2k for one though

Reaction score
Hello Flopps...long time:wave:
I posted about downsizing my PC to a mATX rig...the reason was because I was waiting for the new iMacs...I'm going to keep the PC for gaming only and use the Mac for everything else...writing in particular, but also music and photos.
The Basic iMac will do for me...more than enough power and so fantastic to work with. (I have had a MacBook for many years).

Once Macs get their shite together on vids, and games become more Mac-friendly, I think they will dominate and PCs will have to do something very special to compete outside the enthusiast market.

Ask a Question