Windows XP The file ... Is not available

Reaction score
=?Utf-8?B?UmljayBN?= said:
I'm getting the "THE FILE ... IS NOT AVAILABLE" error when starting Word 2003 and trying to open either an old Word doc OR even a new one! Meaning, if I type something, save the file as "test" and close it, then try to reopen it, it says "THE FILE TEST.DOC IS NOT AVAILABLE".

This was an upgrade from Office XP so this is what I have tried on my XP Pro Dell machine

1. I uninstalled Office 2003 and then uninstalled Office XP.
2. I re-installed Office 2003, same thing happens.
3. I uninstalled Office 2003 and ran the RESOURCE KIT's "REMOVAL TOOL" that is supposed to completely remove all traces of Office. After it was done and I rebooted I installed only Word 2003 and the same problem happens

I looked at the previous postings about Norton Antivrus but they don't apply. The only hint at something wrong is the message "can't open this document template pdfmaker.dot!". This used to be a toolbar in the old Word XP but the message keeps appearing even after using the removal tool resource so I think I still have leagcy issues here

Suggestions are welcome but please don't tell me to reformat... Thanks
I faced this problem too. please check it.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This can often happen with Anti-Virus plugins. If you have AVG, Norton of any other AV product that uses an office plugin, try disabling it and see if it works.

Ask a Question