The continuing Saga of The No-Name PSU

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Some of you are aware that I have an Atrix Extreme Power PSU (36months warranty) ... you'll also know that the dam thing made a bloody racket as the fan fins seem to be hitting something. I "fixed" it by buggering up the fan. :rolleyes: (or so I thought, read on)

Well, my dear Brother Ian got me a replacement last week and I decided to fit it today ... I have to move a chest of draws out of the way to get my PC out of the corner :blush: so I have been putting it off. :D

Anyway, I take out the old PSU, boy did I make a mess of the grill on that one trying to 'fix' it, can't send that back and expect it to pass any inspection for a refund. :blush: :D So in goes the new one and I turn the PC on to test ... dam, blast & little fishes ... the bloody thing is making the same gawd awful noise. :eek: :confused:

So out it comes ... I cannot "see" anything that could possibly be causing the thing to make such a racket so, I lay it on its back and plug it in ... if anyone does not know how to test a PSU out of a case, now is the time to ask.

Well the dam thing is a silent as a mouse ... very silent and all working perfectly ... "hang on" I say, I have it on its back with the fan on the "top" ;) so I pick it up and turn it over ... well well well, it again makes that bloody noise ... I again try the new one, it too works perfect on its back, but not the right way up ... stupid eFing *&"$* PSUs

Now I am getting a little peeved here. yeah, I know. What am I to do with NO PSU ... :(

HA ... the perfect solution ... I'll "fit" it upsidedown. :thumb: :D

How? ... easy, my Cheiftech Dragon Case has a PSU back-plate which unscrews, allowing you, if you wish, to fit the PSU upsidedown, and there is about 2" of space above the PSU. Spiffing What! :D

Well I hope that is the end of that ... I still like the "cost" of this PSU for what it is, but there is definitely some sort of design fault somewhere ... oh well, Ian can have the "replacement" back and he will inform 3BSystems of the fault.

Nice-n-quiet around here now. :D

Reaction score
Next time turn the PC upside down:D Oh and put the CD ROM / DVD R-W the opposite way:D thats to stop the CD/DVD Discs falling out :D

The Meds mucks the Meds;)
Glad it`s sorted:thumb:

Reaction score
I had a nice stock psu once. My computer would randomly restart after a few hours and it was driving me mad so after about 6 months i decided to completely pull apart my pc and rebuilt it to see if i could spot the problem. When i tried to unplug the psu from the motherboard i realised the psu plastic atx connector had melted to the motherboard and was cooking the wires. Damn you case psu's damn you all to hell. One new motherboard + psu later Im one happy bunny.

Ask a Question