tesco broadband

Reaction score
Hi all, was wandering if anyone has any views or opinions about tescos broadband service? Was wandering if i should go with tescos or aol. Any comments much appreciated.
Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Given the choice between Tescos and AOL, I'd go Tesco, and I know absolutely nothing about Tesco's service.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gazzaman said:
thanks for the response....
is aol that bad? why?

I actually used AOL for 5 years, on dial-up, the main reason being they didn't cut you off mid-download. At the time, not one other company would let you do that.

But, they have their own software, including their own browser, which kinda creeps all over your operating system.

And they have limits on downloads and bandwidth, I believe.

I prefer freedom, whereas AOL tend to lead you and give you little choice.

Having said that, if you're happy using their software (and a lot of people are) then by all means consider them.

I did find their backup service good, it was easy to talk to a real human, but, I dunno, I've progressed, no more AOL for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
gazzaman said:
what isp would you suggest i look at?

I don't really know, tbh, I'm with Zen, but they're 25 quid a month. But they're good.

Lots of folks here are happy with NTL, have a look at their package, if their service is available in your area.

And I'd avoid Tiscali, they really not very good.

All I've ever used is Cable & Wireless (taken over by NTL) AOL & Zen, so I probably not the best person to ask.

The Bulldog service looks good, but you'll have to swap your phone billing over to them.

Let's hope some other peeps chime in with their experiences.

Reaction score
If your looking for user feedback on adsl ISP's you'd be best to go to adslguide.co.uk and check out their forums. I'm with Freedom2surf who are good at 23.99 a month. But there are lots of good deals out there at the moment. It all depends on what setup you want to, like do you want a static ip address? do you want webspace and how much to you get? etc. As said above check out adslguide for info.

Reaction score
i just wanted to play some games really coz i already pay 15.99 for aol dial up? any suggestions

Reaction score
ouch!

Look at www.zetnet.co.uk - these guys have the best customer service team - talk to them about anything and when you call the phone wont ring more than one ring before they pick up. No computer automated call systems!!

I have the 2Mb deal - phenomenal download speeds! good price too.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

I'm a Pipex girl, been with them for 14 months, only had 1 outage. Real people to seek to if you need that and I get 2mb for £22 per month unlimited use. Plus webspace and loads of other gizmos that I don't use.

Check out the ADSL site - they give good comparisons and various pros and cons of different providers.

I would echo the advice about Tiscali - wouldn't recommend having used on various machines over the last few months.

Let us know what you finally decide and what influenced your choice.

Kind regards

Gabs x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
2MB for £22/month is very good... I might look into that myself! Pipex have always been a good ISP :)

I'm with NDO.com and my ADSL has been connected for almost an entire year without disruption (via a router, not me on my PC ;)). Its about £29/month for unlimited 1MB connection and I've been very happy.

Reaction score
cheers for the replies, i've had more of a look around and the pipex looks good, I'm also quite tempted by plusnets premier service eventhough that would be £22 a month. Both seem more reliable than aol or BT. So I'm still debating, I suppose i really want it for gaming and also i want the a service that wont keep disconecting, have slow speeds etc. The isp choice is an ever present topic so thanks for the replies, i suppose a year contract makes you want to get the best possbile service.

Reaction score
If you want to do online gaming, don't get a capped service - e.g. one with an XGb download limit.

Thats why i went with Zetnet.co.uk - they are totally uncapped and provide no restrictions as to what you can do with your connection.

Just for your information, your internet will 99% most likely be provided by BT wholesale - they sell internet to companies to sell to the public - so if BT has a problem, whatever ISP your with, you'll get that problem too...

Reaction score
on hte adsl guide comparator, plus net and pipex are rated much higher than bullodg, plusnets broadband plus service is 2mb and has no download limits, what do you think of this serivce?

Reaction score
I have heard plusnet are good, I don't do a lot of gaming but isn't it better with gaming to have a static ip address as well. So you might want to look out for that.

Ask a Question