Taskbar Speaker Icon

Richard

Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go to
sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
panel to add it each time I start my computer?

Bruce Hagen

Richard said:
Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go
to sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to
the clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
panel to add it each time I start my computer?

Right click on the Taskbar | Properties | Customize. Locate the Volume icon
and change the behavior to Always Show.

Richard

I'm not sure when it happened, I have been having to do this for about a
month now. I'm the only user on my computer, no one else has a account on
it.

Rock

Richard said:
Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go to
sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
panel to add it each time I start my computer?

Try running the edit on Kelly's site, line 320, "Restore Volume/Net Icon
to Notification Area" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

Based on my experience, this issue may caused by multiple reasons, and you
may take Rock's advise as a workaround, but please note that the method
need to modify Registry, before you do it, please make sure to back it up.

As I said, this issue may caused by multiple reasons, you may follow those
methods as below, I think they can helps.

Method 1:
============
This issue can be caused by the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service:
1. Click Start->Control Panel and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
3. Click to highlight "Networking Services" in the list and then click
Detail.
4. Uncheck "Universal Plug and Play" and then click OK.
5. Click Next and following instructions on the screen to disable the
service.
6. Reboot the computer and check if the issue is resolved.

Method 2:
============
You may try to boot into Safe Mode to see if this issue occurs. If this
issue disappear, I suspect it may caused by some third-party applications.
1. Click Start, click Run, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks) in
the open box and click OK.
2. Under the Service tab, check "Hide All Microsoft Services", and then
uncheck all the services listed.
3. Under the General tab, put a check next to "Selective Startup", please
click to uncheck "Load Startup Items" and click OK.
4. Please choose Yes to restart the computer.
5. Check this issue.

If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Selective
Startup" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
these steps:

1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
each line in that file.
2. Click the Apply button
3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
5. Click the Apply button.
6. Reboot your computer.

When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
causing this issue.

Method 3:
=============
Check that if you have installed the update " KB821557". Try to uninstall
it to see if this issue still occurs.

Method 4:
=============
Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your
computer:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.
Note that you may be prompted for the Windows XP installation media.
3. Test to determine if the issue is resolved.

I hope these information I provided here can be of assistance. Thank you
for using Microsoft Newsgroup. Thanks all replier in this thread for
attention.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: Taskbar Speaker Icon
| Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:36:14 -0700
|
| Every time I start my computer, I have to go to the control panel and go
| sound settings to put the volume control icon in the taskbar next to the
| clock. It use to load automatically but quit. How can I get the volume
| control icon to stay in the taskbar without having to go to the control
| panel to add it each time I start my computer?

Richard

Thank you Bruce, I did as you suggested and now have my volume control icon
back on the taskbar.

Richard

Bruce Hagen

YW.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

Richard said:
Thank you Bruce, I did as you suggested and now have my volume control
icon back on the taskbar.

Richard

classik

I had the same exact issue.

I came to this thread.

I downloaded on Kelly's site, line 320, "Restore Volume/Net Icon
to Notification Area" at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
like the user Rock has posted on this thread.

After downloaidng it, the volume control icon has been restored.

Before I downloaded that, however, I had all Startup Items unchecked in
the System COnfiguration Utility that you can access by click "start",
"run" and typing "msconfig".

After downloading, I checked the Startup Items in the System
Configuration Utility, and I saw the item "SysTray" checked. I
unchecked it, and then the volume control icon did not appear again
when I restarted my PC. I checked it, and the volume control icon
appeared.