Windows XP Task Scheduler Error 87

Reaction score
I am working on a remotely located server. I have had to remove the backup software due to a conflict and have put a script in place to backup a database for me temporarily. Now everything else is fine but I can not get task scheduler to run. I attempt to start the service and get Error 87. I have made sure that RPC is running and that the account for Task Scheduler is in fact set as System Account and flagged to interact with desktop. However it still will not start it just continues to say:

Code:
 Could not start the Task Scheduler service on Local Computer.

Error 87: The parameter is incorrect

Code:
 Event Type:	Error
 Event Source:	Service Control Manager
 Event Category:	None
 Event ID:	7023
 Date:		3/19/2007
 Time:		5:38:37 PM
 User:		N/A
 Computer:	DBSERVER
 Description:
 The Task Scheduler service terminated with the following error: 
 The parameter is incorrect.

Reaction score

To resolve this problem, install ISA Server 2004 Service Pack 1 (SP1). For additional information about how to obtain ISA Server 2004 SP1, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/

1. If the registry key below contains any of the values indicated in part 1 of the CAUSE section above, use the Registry editor (regedt32.exe is recommended for this purpose) to delete the Filter DLLs value from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3svc\Parameters
2. If the properties of the Default Web Site, ISAPI Filters tab indicate that another ISAPI filter is loaded ahead of the w3proxy filter and the w3proxy filter is not initializing (indicated by a red down arrow status) then:

a. Move the w3proxy filter to the top of the load order by highlighting it and using the up arrow to the left of the ISAPI filters list window so that it is at the top of the load order.

b. Apply the change to the Default Web Site by clicking the apply button at the bottom of the property sheet and then the OK button. Close the Internet Service Manager (ISM) Microsoft Management Console (MMC.)

c. Stop the following services using the Control Panel Services applet:
(1) Microsoft Proxy Server Administration service.
(2) Microsoft WinSock Proxy service.
(3) The IISAdmin service.
(4) The Proxy Alert Notification Service (if not already stopped by step 2.c.(1) above.)
(5) The World Wide Web Publishing service (if not already stopped by step 2.c.3 above.)
d. Restart the services stopped in 2.c. above.

e. Reopen the ISM MMC and expand to expose the Defalt Web Site. Right click on the Default Web Site then select Properties. Go to the ISAPI filters tab. Verify that the w3proxy has initialized properly as indicated by a green up arrow status and that it is the first ISAPI filter loaded for the Default Web Site.

f. If the w3proxy ISAPI filter did not initialize and there are other filters beings loaded on the Default Web Site, remove them (record each one and the filter's location on the server before removing) one at a time and repeat steps 2.c through 2.f. until only the w3proxy filter is being loaded.

g. Replace the filters removed earlier (if applicable) one at a time with updated versions and repeat steps 2.a. to 2.e. to test whether the updated versions work properly with the w3proxy ISAPI filter.

3. If the w3proxy ISAPI filter is at the top of the filter order and is not loading and initializing properly when the IIS 4.0 and Proxy Server 2.0 services are started, replace w3proxy.dll with a new copy from an appropriate source: Windows NT Option Pack, Small Business Server 4.5 distribution CDs, Back Office 4.5 distribution CDs or other known good source and repeat steps 2.a. through 2.g. as appropriate.

:user:
:wall:

Ask a Question