Windows XP Task Bar - not starting up

Reaction score
Hi All,
My daughters Computers' task bar doesn't start up when she turns the computer on.

It's running Windows XP has AVG Virus Checker, spyware checkers etc, she connects to the net with ADSL router. The computer itself is about 6 years old or more.

I can get it to start if I "alt + ctrl +del" and use "new task" typing in "explorer", then everything else seems fine after that, internet printing etc.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to fix this. I'm presently running spy sweeper scans and avg virus scans to see if i've missed anything.

AND no, i dont have the task bar set to hidden.

cheers
=)

Last edited:
Reaction score
No Virus's found.. spyware found the usual ad junk, but all seems normal and cleaned it up, deleting them.
Dr Watson seems to be trying to sort something out, when i look in the processes running.

The only way i get that explorer/task bar up is by running new task typing "explorer"

Why has it stopped starting up by itself?

I ran the SIW proggie to get more details on the speci's.. not sure which you need.. here's a start.

cpu - Intel Pentium III
cpu socket - slot 1
processor upgrade slot 1
MAX cpu speed 800mhz
system slots 1 isa, 6 pci, 1 agp

memory summary
max capacity 1024 mbytes
memory slots 4
max mem module size 256 mbytes

Reaction score
Nearly fixed it

There was a proggie that would start up called Rocketdock, I took that out of the start up, now the taskbar has appeared but when i place the curser over the bar - the hourglass shows up.. making it imposible to use the bloom'n thing.

Sooo (thought i'd fixed it) but i'm getting close..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Ask a Question