system rebooting

G

I have Win XP home edition and have done all the updates, and i'm having an issue with rebooting. My computer, certain programs and IE will shut down without warning intermittently. HELP. What is the cause of this problem? I thougth it was a fault of my video card, i recently installed an ATI AIW 9800, but that is not the case. I have formatted my computer and started all over, with no change. Can anyone email me or get in touch with me on here. I have also installed the newest drivers for everything on my computer, but that hasnt helped either. I am runnin an AMD 1900+, 1024megs DDR Ram, WD 160gb and WD 40gb hard drives, ATI AIW 9800 Pro video card, with a DVD and CD-RW drives. I dont know where else to turn.

G

Have you checked the fan on the power supply? Maybe getting hot and shutting down.

U

Unknown

Does it shut down or reboot?
Will said:
I have Win XP home edition and have done all the updates, and i'm having an
issue with rebooting. My computer, certain programs and IE will shut down
without warning intermittently. HELP. What is the cause of this problem? I
thougth it was a fault of my video card, i recently installed an ATI AIW 9800,
but that is not the case. I have formatted my computer and started all over,
with no change. Can anyone email me or get in touch with me on here. I have
also installed the newest drivers for everything on my computer, but that
hasnt helped either. I am runnin an AMD 1900+, 1024megs DDR Ram, WD 160gb and
WD 40gb hard drives, ATI AIW 9800 Pro video card, with a DVD and CD-RW drives.
I dont know where else to turn.

G

I posted a reply a while ago, but appearantly it didnt work so here goes again. The fan on my power supply (which is an Enermax 450) is working fine from what i can tell. The computer will boot and reboot fine. Everything seems to be working fine until i start to run a game or pretty much, anything else, looks good sittin there tho lol. I also tried to run NAV 2K2, with updates, it actually stopped and went to a blue box (critical error stop). I dont know if i have included enough info for u guys to help or not, if not, just ask. Thanks again.

Will

G

Is there possibly something else that could be causing it? i have installed another video card and am getting roughly the same issue. i'm running an AMD 1900+, WD 160gb HD, Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ motherboard, 1 gig DDR Ram, with a Dr Thermal Extreme CPU cooler. Does anyone think it might be the cooler? Possibly a CPU upgrade time? I need ur help guys.

Thanks in advance
Will

R

Rich

Will said:
Is there possibly something else that could be causing it? i have installed another video card and am getting roughly the same issue. i'm running an AMD 1900+, WD 160gb HD, Gigabyte GA-7VTXH+ motherboard, 1 gig DDR Ram, with a Dr Thermal Extreme CPU cooler. Does anyone think it might be the cooler? Possibly a CPU upgrade time? I need ur help guys.

Thanks in advance,
Will

Hi Will,
My guess is one of two things a)a bad ram module b)an unstable driver
Even though you made sure to use the latest drivers doesn't mean there
can't be a quirk in one them destablizing your puter. try rolling them
back "one at a time" or try swapping out ram modules,(Idon't know if
your mb has 2 or 4 mem slots but try that first as it is probably easier
and faster.)

G

Thanks Rich, I have done everything to see what this problem is ie. took memory out, rolled back drivers, complete reinstall of windows(pain in the a**). I'm thinking that maybe there is a conflict with my MB and my video card. I pulled up "system information" and under "conflicts/sharing" i noticed that my ati card and VIA which is my chipset, there are several listings where they are "conflict/sharing". I dont know that would cause the problem i'm having, but it doesnt look good.

G

Hey I have the same prob it seems will.....my sys randomly reboots, very annoying while in the middle of something.I thought maybe I have bad power but no. Then I thought I might have a bad power supply. I have access to 5 or 6 computer experts that give me hints and tips. Now I think it has something to do with winXp. I was also going to reformat (I dont want to!) and try this or that, but I think it is some kind of read error or fatal error Im getting. My wifes putr is right next to mine and it doesnt reboot if the lights dim for a second...I think its software not hardware.so tonight I updated all winXP available and also updated my Nvidia drivers. So far, no random reboot tonight :).Its been on about 6 hours straight... Try that. Let me know what happens.YourpalPhal

sys: PIV 1.5gig 1gig of RAMBUS. 10k scsi drive gf3 ti500.........

Ask a Question