Windows XP system errors

Reaction score
Every time i start my desktop computer(windows xp home edition) this error box comes up, Program Error; 'Svchost. exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows . You will need to restart the program. an error log is being created'. Also Microsoft . NET Framework; 'An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application- click continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' This Micro.. error only comes up when, for some reason the computer tries to install Photo Gallery?, and this comes up,Error 1707, 'No valid source could be found for product photo Gallery. the windows installer cannot continue'. Whats all this about? when these error boxes come up the only way i can get them of my screen is by using the task master.Furthermore i have lost my ethernet wireless connection, with this error message coming up ;Windows System error: 'There is an IP address conflict with another system on the computer'.when i use the network set up wizard i am getting this heading , Cannot complete the network set up wizard, and message ' Other computers cannot connect to the internet through the computer. in addition to its internet boxes computer must have a connection to your network'.
When i have looked at my network connections , wireless router is displayed with this info , Disconnected, firewalled , WAN Miniport (PPPOE). I have went through aol for advice, and still can't get connected. Presently i'm connected through LAN for broadband but i need my wireless router connected so that i can use my laptop. The final problem is when i ultimately used system restore, system what dates i tried -several times, the computer will not restore to previous dates , with the message cannot restore to this date.
Please help, i have been on this computer every chance i get, every day and i am out of ideas to fix these catalogue of problems .
Please somebody help!!!!

Reaction score
Lennydixie1 said:
Every time i start my desktop computer(windows xp home edition) this error box comes up, Program Error; 'Svchost. exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows . You will need to restart the program. an error log is being created'. Also Microsoft . NET Framework; 'An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application- click continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.' This Micro.. error only comes up when, for some reason the computer tries to install Photo Gallery?, and this comes up,Error 1707, 'No valid source could be found for product photo Gallery. the windows installer cannot continue'. Whats all this about? when these error boxes come up the only way i can get them of my screen is by using the task master.Furthermore i have lost my ethernet wireless connection, with this error message coming up ;Windows System error: 'There is an IP address conflict with another system on the computer'.when i use the network set up wizard i am getting this heading , Cannot complete the network set up wizard, and message ' Other computers cannot connect to the internet through the computer. in addition to its internet boxes computer must have a connection to your network'.
When i have looked at my network connections , wireless router is displayed with this info , Disconnected, firewalled , WAN Miniport (PPPOE). I have went through aol for advice, and still can't get connected. Presently i'm connected through LAN for broadband but i need my wireless router connected so that i can use my laptop. The final problem is when i ultimately used system restore, system what dates i tried -several times, the computer will not restore to previous dates , with the message cannot restore to this date.
Please help, i have been on this computer every chance i get, every day and i am out of ideas to fix these catalogue of problems .
Please somebody help!!!!

Just some general remarks. You need to try to isolate these problems so that one at a time comes up. Have you tried booting in Safe mode to see if any of the problems disappear? Another suggestion is to use Run > msconfig to check what is starting up with the PC.

scvhost seems to cause lots of problems. One problem is connected with automatic Windows Update so if you have that running try switching it off. The Photo Gallery sounds like an incomplete setup from a past installation and may turn up in the msconfig lists on RunOnce. The IP address conflict can be caused by using two different DCHP servers one for the wireless and one for the LAN although the network wizard message seems to be stating that you have a modem connection but no LAN connection (maybe I have misinterpreted it!). Although you are not connected to the wireless network does windows detect that there is one?

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, i will try the suggestions mentioned. Answer to your question about my internet connection; i have a internal Modem. Smart link 56k Voice Modem with the following details, Audio/ Modem Riser: Chipset= SL1800PCI, Audio Codec= Not present, Modem codec= HAM5603(Pri), Details =Intl(C),DAA/(C).I also got this info of system info about modem,Name Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
Description Smart Link 56K Voice Modem
Device ID PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5459&SUBSYS_545910A5&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&00F0
Device Type Internal Modem
Attached To COM3
Answer Mode Not Available
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5459&SUBSYS_545910A5&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&00F0
Provider Name Smart Link (www.smlink.com)
Modem INF Path oem6.inf
Modem INF Section Modem1
Blind Off X4
Blind On X3
Compression Off %C0
Compression On %C3
Error Control Forced \N2
Error Control Off \N0
Error Control On \N3
Flow Control Hard &H1
Flow Control Off &H0
Flow Control Soft Not Available
DCB 
Inactivity Timeout 0
Modulation Bell Not Available
Modulation CCITT B0
Prefix AT
Pulse P
Reset ATZ<cr>
Responses Key Name Smart Link 56K Voice Modem::Smart Link (www.smlink.com)::Smart Link (www.smlink.com)
Speaker Mode Dial M1
Speaker Mode Off M0
Speaker Mode On M2
Speaker Mode Setup M3
Speaker Volume High L3
Speaker Volume Low L1
Speaker Volume Med L2
String Format Not Available
Terminator <cr>
Tone T
Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xF8000FFF
I/O Port 0x00009000-0x000090FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 18
I have maybe sent you to much info on modem but anything that will help me out.The above modem is the one am connected with LAC. Furthermore i Windows does not regognise my netgearDG834v3 wireless router. I went through add hardware in control panel and it could not find it, even when the lights are all on(that should be on) on the router-so the power is getting to it and everything is connected up allright. on the Network Connections window the details displayed are, Wireless Router DG834Gv3, Disconnected, Shared, WAN Miniport (PPPOE). Hope this is help to you on resloveing my problems, Thanks again for your suggestions and if you need any more info please let me know, these problems are starting to wear me down! i have an OU course starting next week and your assistance would be greatly apprecaited.

Ask a Question