Sysprep and SP2

Charlie

* You can skip all of this and go right to my question at
the bottom, but you might also might want to read about
my problem if you use Sysprep with SP2.

I know that there is a new version of Sysprep for XP
SP2. I also understand that it only works from a
slipstreamed installation of XP w SP2. In fact, a
colleague tried it with non-slipstreamed version and it
failed, which should confirm that.

I figured that meant that if you didn't have a
slipstreamed version you were out of luck, since there
wouldn't be any version that would work.

However, I have created 3 different Ghost images in the
past week using the older version of Sysprep for XP on
prototype machines that had SP2 installed typically.
Every thing seemed to be OK until today....
I had to set up a student computer lab of 25 machines
which are quite locked down. I started with a Ghost
image that has worked fine over the last 2 years, the
only real difference being that I installed SP2. After
running Sysprep and then reimaging the machines, the
default user got the Administrator's profile.

I had done a Registry hack to set the printers for the
default user as I always do. I then tested it by logging
on as a regular user that didn't already have a profile
and the profile looked fine, including the printers. So
I know that I didn't make any mistakes.
I'm convinced that either SP2 itself or Sysprep caused
this problem.

Can someone clear up my confusion and tell me which
version of Sysprep I'm supposed to use for imaging an XP
machine that has SP2 installed by the conventional method?

Thanks

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Charlie said:
[...]

Hi

If I am not mistaken, the SP2 sysprep by design now overwrites
the default profile with the Administrator's profile.

Dusan Kosaric

Hi Charlie,
check
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...91-ac56-4665-949b-beda3080e0f6&DisplayLang=en
and related documents.

This is probably not direct answer to your question but if you have a lot of
"set up a student computer lab of 25 machines" than you might consider using
Virtual PC or equivalent. The greatest plus is that you create one virtual
machine and can then reuse it on other computers using Virtual PC and
running Sysinternals's NewSID on every machine in order to change SID's.
"Minus" of such virtualization is that you need more powerful machines but
this is irrelevant if you consider time consumption.

Hope this helps
Dusan

Charlie

From: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Sysprep and SP2
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:26:34 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Yes, as I understand it there are problems with copying
profiles in general with XP so I've been staying away
from copying entire profiles. We used to do that pretty
regularly with NT4 but not any more.

What I have done are things such as copying specialized
shortcuts and exporting registry keys to the default user
profile. For example, setting default printers as a
regular user and exporting those keys after loading a
hive with ntuser.dat from the Default User profile.
That's a lot of work. If I could simply log on as
Administrator and set everything the way it's supposed to
be for all users that would be great, but I would have to
start from scratch. Until the bugs are worked out, I
won't even consider doing that.

From: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 12:26:34 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

and
confers no rights
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:14:08 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn
Norway
.
OK,
I have confirmed that the SP2 version of Sysprep cannot
be used with a non-slipstreamed installation of XP with
SP2. It's in the Readme that comes with the SP2 Deploy
Tools.
I have also confirmed that even using the previous
version of Sysprep for XP overwrites the default user
profile with the Administrator's profile. I proved
it
by
simply installing SP2 then running Sysprep, nothing
else. I really hope this isn't by design and that it's
an incompatibility problem with the older Sysprep. Even
if that's the case we'll have to start from scratch with
a slipstreamed version of the installation to build a
whole new prototype.

.

.

Phil Wade

Hi Charlie

I've got a possible solution for you to try!

Try renaming the local Administrator account (e.g. to "admin") before
you run sysprep. This seems to stop mini-setup on an XPSP2 machine
copying the Administrator profile over the Default User profile.

It's a little surprising that this works, as the local Admins profile
is still stored in "Documents and Settings\Administrator" even if you
rename the local Administrator account. Mini-setup seems to look for
the profile of a user called Administrator (rather than for a profile
in the folder "Documents and Settings\Administrator"). If it finds a
user called Administrator, it copies that users profile to Default
User. If it doesn't find a user called Administrator, it leaves
Default User alone!

Hope this works for you!

Regards,
Phil.

[...]

Yeah, I'm shocked that this would work as well.
If you've tried it and it works, then I'll give it a shot.
It will be tried on a test machine, so no harm if for
some reason it doesn't work for me.
Talk about a simple solution!
Thanks

PGomersall

Hi Darrell,

I have made numerous postings to this newsgroup but have never had a
reply from MSFT.

I have read with interest the discussion on the setup_deployment
newsgroup re sysprep and Admin overwriting the DU profile.

You mention that this is a factor of design, but that it may be made
optional – I would definitely like to see that happen.

We noticed the problem in RC1, but after numerous bug reports and
email to MSFT we never got a reply.

The current overwritten profile doesn't work correctly since all
subsequent new users have a My Documents folder called
"Administrator's Documents" – the desktop.ini not been correctly set
up for the new owner.

I understand the reasoning behind the move but surely administrators
using sysprep and worth their salt should understand how to build a
"corporate default user profile" or whatever you want to call.

Rather that cut everyone out of the process and a build a sloppy
solution that doesn't work correctly; shouldn't adequate internal
testing have shown this to be a problem?

Also there has been absolutely no documentation that I can find that
is easily accessible that explains to us administrators the changes
that have taken place.

Obviously you are in no way directly responsible for the situation,
but it would be nice if those that are responsible are made aware of
the general situation and annoyment of probably 100's of system
administrators.

Pete Gomersall

MCSA Windows 2003, MCSE (Windows NT4, 2000 & 2003), MCDBA & MCT

From: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:14:08 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

version
of
sp
.
OK,
I have confirmed that the SP2 version of Sysprep cannot
be used with a non-slipstreamed installation of XP with
SP2. It's in the Readme that comes with the SP2 Deploy
Tools.
I have also confirmed that even using the previous
version of Sysprep for XP overwrites the default user
profile with the Administrator's profile. I proved it by
simply installing SP2 then running Sysprep, nothing
else. I really hope this isn't by design and that it's
an incompatibility problem with the older Sysprep. Even
if that's the case we'll have to start from scratch with
a slipstreamed version of the installation to build a
whole new prototype.

.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Pete,
There were large numbers of people who were creating custom profiles, then
copying them over the default user profile.
You are correct this causes any number of problem as you state with several
examples below.
Yes there are things that need to be addressed in this process, before it
wasn't supported, now since it happens during mini-setup we can get things
addressed in process.
The documentation will be coming, it's just going to take a little time to
complete.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Charlie" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:14:08 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

[...]

Phil, it looks like you are correct. I finally got
around to trying this and it seems to work. I'll try it
again with a different image to be sure.
Thanks! What a simple solution.