Syncthing --- a continuous file synchronization program.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Syncthing

Syncthing is a continuous file synchronization program. It synchronizes files between two or more computers in real time, safely protected from prying eyes. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, whether it is shared with some third party, and how it's transmitted over the internet.

Portable. Configure and monitor Syncthing via a responsive and powerful interface accessible via your browser. Works on Android,Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenBSD, and many others. Run it on your desktop computers and synchronize them with your server for backup.

Apart from all the obvious features is the fact that this works with all your devices a truly cross platform program.

I have a pc and a backup laptop and intend using syncthing to keep my KeePassXC password folder up to date on both machines. Not a world shattering use but it will certainly be of great use if my main pc goes down and I need to access stuff on the net from the Tough Book.

Here are a couple of comments I culled from the Google Play android version.

This is a great, free and open source software for synchronizing files. It's great for backups, as well as making notes, password manager databases, photos etc. available on multiple mobile devices and computers.

This app really is the swiss army knife of syncing files. It's a little complicated to setup but once it's setup it works great. I use this to keep a copy of all my photos and videos backed up to my Qnap NAS. Works like a champ.

My preferred file synchronizer. Works great. With Android 11, synchronizing to an external SD card is fixed. (This pain point was caused by Android OS policy in previous versions, and was out of Syncthing's control.) Hear hear for a great tool!

Fantastic, very helpful at keeping control of your own files. Take advantage of all that extra disc space you have on various computers to make your own backups and share files with your family. There are many YouTube videos to help you get it set up and working. Lots of choices for managing battery...

Google Play version

F-Droid version

Arch Linux version

The program is used from a WebUI or the command line but there is a handy GUI for linux users,

Syncthing-GTK

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4b444259656b642e706e67

687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f34336d6d6e43372e706e67

There are a ton of videos out there which cover all aspects of syncthing.

All in all a very useful tool, and it is free so don't forget to donate if you use it.

Enjoy

:cool:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a handy tool, I use OneDrive in a similar way across several devices - but can see the appeal in going down this route.

Is it possible to ask the app to sync big files only when connected to WiFi on Android?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I also use One Drive on PC, laptop and phone and find that it works very well.

What would you say was the advantage of Syncthing over One Drive?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I also use One Drive on PC, laptop and phone and find that it works very well.

What would you say was the advantage of Syncthing over One Drive?

Syncthing via a responsive and powerful interface accessible via your browser. Works on Android,Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenBSD, and many others. Run it on your desktop computers and synchronize them with your server for backup.

Syncthing is not in the cloud, all files and folders are on your machines.

Syncthing does not give any access to Microsoft employees unlike One Drive.

Syncthing does not give any info, log in, account set up, etc etc to Microsoft or anyone else at all.

Access control systems: OneDrive and Office 365 maintain a “zero-standing access” policy, which means that engineers do not have access to the service unless it is explicitly granted in response to a specific incident that requires elevation of access. Whenever access is granted it is done under the principle of least privilege: permission granted for a specific request only allows for a minimal set of actions required to service that request. To do this, OneDrive and Office 365 maintain strict separation between “elevation roles,” with each role only allowing certain pre-defined actions to be taken. The “Access to Customer Data” role is distinct from other roles that are more commonly used to administer the service and is scrutinized most heavily before approval. Taken together, these investments in access control greatly reduce the likelihood that an engineer in OneDrive or Office 365 inappropriately accesses customer data.

Syncthing gives you virtually limitless storage for free unlike the 5 GB in One Drive. You do not need to pay £1.99 a month to store 100 GB either.

Just the fact that it is not a Microsoft product is enough for me. :D

Realy though One Drive is a cloud storage system whereas Syncthing is a file and folder syncing tool. There are self hosted alternatives to One Drive such as these.

Owncloud vs. NextCloud vs. Seafile: Which Self-Hosted Cloud Storage Should You Choose?

Even if you’re someone who prefers using offline storage, cloud storage is indispensable. But every time you use commercial cloud storage, whether it’s free or paid, you’re trusting a faceless company with the security and privacy of your files.

One way you can get around the lack of control is to host your own storage. But how do you self-host cloud storage, and are there straightforward solutions online?

Just a heads up as the above deserves a thread of its own. :cool:

Last edited:

Ask a Question