Windows XP Support ends for Win98 & WinMe 30/06/06

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me
Published: January 6, 2006 | Updated: January 18, 2006

June 30, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, including security updates, by this date.

Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service.

Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

Customers who upgrade to Windows XP report improved security, richer functionality, and increased productivity.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

:) Linux is Free, and well suported. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To be fair to MS, they were going to stop support for Win 98 a couple of years ago but kept it going for a while longer after many requests to do so.

Guess I'll have to download all the updates and bung 'em in a folder somewhere. I done a recent install of Win 98 and just went through the update procedure at their site.

Looks like that won't be available after June though, so me best save all those files if I want to be sure of playing all my old games.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems strange to think that Win98 is 8 years old, doesn't seem that long ago at all!

Which games do you still play under Win98 out of interest Floppy? I've been able to get most things running under WinXP, only Constructor and Theme Park have caused problems for me so far (kind of work!).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Doom
Doom II
Ultimate Doom
Quake
Quake II + add-ons
The Longest Journey
Ignition (racing game)
Worms Armageddon
Sin
Alien vs Predator One
American McGhee's Alice
Hydro Thunder
Messiah
Planescape Torment
Breakneck (a racing game)
Undying
Incoming
Carmageddon II
Duke Nukem 3D
Full THrottle
Requiem Avenging Angel
Sam & Max
Resident Evil II
Shogo
Goosebumps
Lego Racers
Chuckie Egg
Space Invaders Collection

Those are loaded atm, but obviously I'm not playing all of them right now.

I have some more as well, but that'll do for now ;)

I know some of those will run on Win XP - Planescape Torment and Worms Armageddon will, I think - but the majority of those listed will only run on Win 98 in my experience.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow :eek: Point Proven :D

Duke Nukem 3D... what a fantastic game, I might have to dig that out now! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And these will be going on shortly:

NFS Porsche 2000
Outlaws
System Shock Two
Giants
Carmageddon TDR 2000
Kiss' Psycho Circus
Shadowman (brilliant game)
Lands Of Lore III
Hexen II

NFS Porsche 2000 does run fine on Win XP, but it's good to have all these old games on one machine.

And the beauty of it is - all on one 80Gb hard drive with room to spare :)

Ask a Question