Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Lou

Tim said:
There still appears to be a freeware version.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm
--
Tim Weaver

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I am not so sure what you heard is not what I meant.

Does anyone know the differences between the current version (4.2.3...)
as shown on the website and what I am running (2.1.5). Should I get
the newer free version, and why?

Lou

jmatt

"Should I get the newer free version, and why?"

No need, 2.15 does the job perfecty & it is the last free version.

Bernard Peek

In message
Tim said:
There still appears to be a freeware version.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Thanks. Just downloaded it and got an email from Sunbelt that says:

"Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 can run in a free mode vs. a full
(paid) mode. Install it now, and for the first 30 days it will run in
'full' mode. After that, it shuts down selected features, but will
continue to run in 'free' mode".

elaich

Does anyone know the differences between the current version (4.2.3...)
as shown on the website and what I am running (2.1.5). Should I get
the newer free version, and why?

Version 4 was a boondoggle of bloat and bugs. No, unless Sunsoft has
cleaned it up since taking it over.

2.1.5 is the perfect firewall except for a problem handling fragmented
packets. Go here to get something that will run behind 2.1.5 and eliminate
that problem - CHX Packet Filter.

http://www.idrci.net/

Kerodo

Does anyone know the differences between the current version (4.2.3...)
as shown on the website and what I am running (2.1.5). Should I get
the newer free version, and why?

Kerio 2.1.5 uses around 5mb ram, Kerio 4.2.3 more like 26mb. 4.2.3 is
not bad at this point, but if you're happy with 2.1.5 then there's no
reason to upgrade to 4.x. Kerio 2 is fine, especially if you also use
CHX with it to harden it against the frag packet problem (if you're even
worried about that at all). Kerio 4.2.3 also does not appear to do very
well under heavy loads, i.e. p2p etc. Kerio 2 does much better in that
regard. Kerio 4 offers a few extra 'features' in the paid version as
well, but nothing that important. Just some web filtering and a little
code injection protection I think, a few things you may or may not care
about. Kerio 4 also gives you some extra options to ask/allow/deny apps
from executing, starting other apps, and so on.

Best idea would be to try both and see...

Lou

Kerodo said:
Kerio 2.1.5 uses around 5mb ram, Kerio 4.2.3 more like 26mb. 4.2.3 is
not bad at this point, but if you're happy with 2.1.5 then there's no
reason to upgrade to 4.x. Kerio 2 is fine, especially if you also use
CHX with it to harden it against the frag packet problem (if you're even
worried about that at all). Kerio 4.2.3 also does not appear to do very
well under heavy loads, i.e. p2p etc. Kerio 2 does much better in that
regard. Kerio 4 offers a few extra 'features' in the paid version as
well, but nothing that important. Just some web filtering and a little
code injection protection I think, a few things you may or may not care
about. Kerio 4 also gives you some extra options to ask/allow/deny apps
from executing, starting other apps, and so on.

Best idea would be to try both and see...

Thanks.

I assume they can not both be active at once.

Lou

Kerodo

Thanks.

I assume they can not both be active at once.

Correct, that could mean big problems. Best to uninstall Kerio 2 first,
then install 4 and try it out. Then remove 4 when you return to 2 (if
you do). Actually, I would bet that Kerio would not allow both at once
anyway.. 4's install would upgrade 2 to 4 or whatever..

Lou

Kerodo said:
Correct, that could mean big problems. Best to uninstall Kerio 2 first,
then install 4 and try it out. Then remove 4 when you return to 2 (if
you do). Actually, I would bet that Kerio would not allow both at once
anyway.. 4's install would upgrade 2 to 4 or whatever..

Thanks

Renan

sudo rm -rf /home/Andy Cap:
Yes. Steve Gibson said on his latest podcast that the new owner had
promised to maintain a free version.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I can't find Kerio 2.1.5. Anybody
could please give me a link to it?

Thanks?

Ron May

Message-ID said:
"* The trial version will expire in 30 days."

Drill down a bit more and you get:

"CHX™ products are free of charge for non-profit activities by home
users, students and charitable organizations. To obtain a link to the
full version and a serial number via e-mail please use the following
form."

I used a "dodgeit.com" drop address to register, so that wasn't a
problem, just another step involved.

(BTW, I had the same reaction you did initially but since the earlier
recommendation came from a knowledgeable source [Kerodo] I looked a
little closer.)

Renan

sudo rm -rf /home/Ron May:

I used a "dodgeit.com" drop address to register, so that wasn't a
problem, just another step involved.

I gave a Mailinator address, and so far, nothing.