Subweb permissions problem / frontpg.lck question

• Thread starter =?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=
  • Start date
?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.

What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I usually publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to publish it...nah.

Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)

Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error regarding frontpg.lck.

Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.

The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not a big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.

btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root permissions.

<NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>

T

Thomas A. Rowe

What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it to
the remote/live site?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not
repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.

What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I usually
publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which
in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to publish
it...nah.

Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)

Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
regarding frontpg.lck.

Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.

The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not a
big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.

btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
permissions.

<NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>

?

I've never tried that on a windows server host, mainly because I was never able to do that on the unix host.

Maybe that's the problem? I'll try it your way later on.

| What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it to
| the remote/live site?
|
| --
| ==============================================
| Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
|
| FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
|
| | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
| create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not
| repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
|
| What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I usually
| publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which
| in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to publish
| it...nah.
|
|
| Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
|
| Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| regarding frontpg.lck.
|
| Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
|
| The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not a
| big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
|
| btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| permissions.
|
| <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>
|
|
|
| --
| Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| l'acqua è calma
| From: "Crash Gordon"
| email: (e-mail address removed)
|
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

I do it all the time.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

I've never tried that on a windows server host, mainly because I was never able to do that on the
unix host.

Maybe that's the problem? I'll try it your way later on.

| What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it
to
| the remote/live site?
|
| --
|
|
| | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
| create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not
|
| What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
usually
| publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which
| in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
publish
| it...nah.
|
|
| Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
|
| Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| regarding frontpg.lck.
|
| Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
|
| The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not
a
|
| btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| permissions.
|
| <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>
|
|
|
| --
| l'acqua è calma
|
|
|

?

You're right it works, although I wouldn't exactly call it a straight-forward procedure:

Open local main web.
Create Folder
Convert Folder to Web
Publish with Subweb (nope didn't werk)
Open Subweb and Publish just that.
Ok...sorta.
Prompted for password (which theoretically I would assume inherited the root permissions)
Denied.
Enter again.
Denied
Enter again
"A Web does not existing at that location, would you like FP to create one" (DUH)
It did, and I can log into it - OK.
Howeber, it doesn't create a default home page.

But at least I didn't mess up the fpse and the permissions were inherited. Cool.

| I do it all the time.
|
| --
|
|
| | I've never tried that on a windows server host, mainly because I was never able to do that on the
| unix host.
|
| Maybe that's the problem? I'll try it your way later on.
|
|
|
| | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it
| to
| | the remote/live site?
| |
| | --
| | ==============================================
| | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| |
| | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| |
| | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
| | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not
| | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| |
| | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| usually
| | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which
| | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| publish
| | it...nah.
| |
| |
| | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| |
| | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| | regarding frontpg.lck.
| |
| | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| |
| | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not
| a
| | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| |
| | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| | permissions.
| |
| | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | l'acqua è calma
| | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | email: (e-mail address removed)
| |
| |
| |
|
|

?

Thomas,

A variation on a theme:
Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP only on that subweb?

Rob
| What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it to
| the remote/live site?
|
| --
|
|
|
| What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I usually
| in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to publish
| it...nah.
|
|
|
| regarding frontpg.lck.
|
|
| The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not a
|
| permissions.
|
|
|
|
| --
| l'acqua è calma
|
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Rob,

You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Thomas,

A variation on a theme:
Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP only
on that subweb?

Rob
| What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it
to
| the remote/live site?
|
| --
|
|
|
| What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
usually
| in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
publish
| it...nah.
|
|
|
| regarding frontpg.lck.
|
|
| The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not
a
|
| permissions.
|
|
|
|
| --
| l'acqua è calma
|
|
|

?

oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...

I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me. (Firezilla)

Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions from mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.

It's been a long hot day today :)

R.

| Rob,
|
| You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
|
| --
|
|
| | Thomas,
|
| A variation on a theme:
| Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP only
| on that subweb?
|
| Rob
| | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish it
| to
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
| | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's not
| |
| | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| usually
| | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs - which
| | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| publish
| | it...nah.
| |
| |
| | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| |
| | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| |
| | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| |
| | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's not
| a
| |
| | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| | permissions.
| |
| | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | l'acqua è calma
| |
| |
| |
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...

I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me. (Firezilla)

Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions from
mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.

It's been a long hot day today :)

R.

| Rob,
|
| You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
|
| --
|
|
| | Thomas,
|
| A variation on a theme:
| Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP only
| on that subweb?
|
| Rob
| | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish
it
| to
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's
not
| |
| usually
| | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
which
| publish
| | it...nah.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's
not
| a
| |
| | permissions.
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | l'acqua è calma
| |
| |
| |
|
|

?

I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it right. I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without damaging root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

| Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
|
| --
|
|
| | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
|
| I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me. (Firezilla)
|
| Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions from
| mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
|
| It's been a long hot day today :)
|
| R.
|
|
| | Rob,
| |
| | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | Thomas,
| |
| | A variation on a theme:
| | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP only
| | on that subweb?
| |
| | Rob
| | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish
| it
| | to
| | | the remote/live site?
| | |
| | | --
| | | ==============================================
| | | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| | |
| | | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | |
| | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when you
| | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's
| not
| | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | |
| | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| | usually
| | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
| which
| | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| | publish
| | | it...nah.
| | |
| | |
| | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | |
| | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | |
| | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | |
| | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's
| not
| | a
| | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | |
| | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| | | permissions.
| | |
| | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through CPanel.>
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | l'acqua è calma
| | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you open
the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without damaging
root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?

| Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
|
| --
|
|
| | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
|
| I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me. (Firezilla)
|
| Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
from
| mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
|
| It's been a long hot day today :)
|
| R.
|
|
| | Rob,
| |
| | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | Thomas,
| |
| | A variation on a theme:
| | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP
only
| | on that subweb?
| |
| | Rob
| | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish
| it
| | to
| | | the remote/live site?
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when
you
| | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's
| not
| | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | |
| | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| | usually
| | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
| which
| | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| | publish
| | | it...nah.
| | |
| | |
| | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | |
| | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | |
| | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | |
| | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's
| not
| | a
| | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | |
| | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| | | permissions.
| | |
| | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
CPanel.>
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | --
| | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | l'acqua è calma
| | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

?

ah ok I just assumed the ftp would inherit same passwords. ok.

IF I navigated with ftp from the root to the sub would it mess up the root's FPSE...that's my big concern.

Tnx,

Rob

| If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you open
| the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application
|
| --
|
|
| | I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
| I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without damaging
| root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
|
|
| | Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
| |
| | I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me. (Firezilla)
| |
| | Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
| from
| | mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
| |
| | It's been a long hot day today :)
| |
| | R.
| |
| |
| | | Rob,
| | |
| | | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | Thomas,
| | |
| | | A variation on a theme:
| | | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP
| only
| | | on that subweb?
| | |
| | | Rob
| | | | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready, publish
| | it
| | | to
| | | | the remote/live site?
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | | ==============================================
| | | | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| | | |
| | | | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | | | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | | | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | | |
| | | | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when
| you
| | | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but it's
| | not
| | | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | | |
| | | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| | | usually
| | | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
| | which
| | | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| | | publish
| | | | it...nah.
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | | |
| | | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same error
| | | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | | |
| | | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | | |
| | | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know? It's
| | not
| | | a
| | | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | | |
| | | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the root
| | | | permissions.
| | | |
| | | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
| CPanel.>
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | | l'acqua è calma
| | | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

No.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

ah ok I just assumed the ftp would inherit same passwords. ok.

IF I navigated with ftp from the root to the sub would it mess up the root's FPSE...that's my big
concern.

Tnx,

Rob

| If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you open
| the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application
|
| --
|
|
| | I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
| I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without damaging
| root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
|
|
| | Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
| |
| | I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me.
(Firezilla)
| |
| | Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
| from
| | mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
| |
| | It's been a long hot day today :)
| |
| | R.
| |
| |
| | | Rob,
| | |
| | | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | Thomas,
| | |
| | | A variation on a theme:
| | | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP
| only
| | | on that subweb?
| | |
| | | Rob
| | | | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready,
publish
| | it
| | | to
| | | | the remote/live site?
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when
| you
| | | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but
it's
| | not
| | | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | | |
| | | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| | | usually
| | | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
| | which
| | | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| | | publish
| | | | it...nah.
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | | |
| | | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same
error
| | | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | | |
| | | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | | |
| | | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know?
It's
| | not
| | | a
| | | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | | |
| | | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the
root
| | | | permissions.
| | | |
| | | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
| CPanel.>
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | | l'acqua è calma
| | | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

?

So, what is the threshold for damages...uploading and/or downloading with ftp ... but - browsing is ok?

| No.
|
| --
|
|
| | ah ok I just assumed the ftp would inherit same passwords. ok.
|
| IF I navigated with ftp from the root to the sub would it mess up the root's FPSE...that's my big
| concern.
|
| Tnx,
|
| Rob
|
| | If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you open
| | the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it right.
| | I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without damaging
| | root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
| |
| |
| | | Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
| | |
| | | I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me.
| (Firezilla)
| | |
| | | Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
| | from
| | | mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
| | |
| | | It's been a long hot day today :)
| | |
| | | R.
| | |
| | |
| | | | | Rob,
| | | |
| | | | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | | | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | | | | | Thomas,
| | | |
| | | | A variation on a theme:
| | | | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use FTP
| | only
| | | | on that subweb?
| | | |
| | | | Rob
| | | | | | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready,
| publish
| | | it
| | | | to
| | | | | the remote/live site?
| | | | |
| | | | | --
| | | | | ==============================================
| | | | | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | | | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| | | | |
| | | | | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | | | | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | | | | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP when
| | you
| | | | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but
| it's
| | | not
| | | | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | | | |
| | | | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then I
| | | | usually
| | | | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty subwebs -
| | | which
| | | | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try to
| | | | publish
| | | | | it...nah.
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | | | |
| | | | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same
| error
| | | | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | | | |
| | | | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to the
| | | | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | | | |
| | | | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know?
| It's
| | | not
| | | | a
| | | | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | | | |
| | | | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the
| root
| | | | | permissions.
| | | | |
| | | | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
| | CPanel.>
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | --
| | | | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | | | l'acqua è calma
| | | | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Just open the root web, then navigate to the subweb, then you can safely upload/download or delete
files in the subweb, do not use to manage any content in the rootweb.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

So, what is the threshold for damages...uploading and/or downloading with ftp ... but - browsing is
ok?

| No.
|
| --
|
|
| | ah ok I just assumed the ftp would inherit same passwords. ok.
|
| IF I navigated with ftp from the root to the sub would it mess up the root's FPSE...that's my big
| concern.
|
| Tnx,
|
| Rob
|
| | If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you
open
| | the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it
right.
| | I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without
damaging
| | root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
| |
| |
| | | Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
| | |
| | | I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me.
| (Firezilla)
| | |
| | | Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
| | from
| | | mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
| | |
| | | It's been a long hot day today :)
| | |
| | | R.
| | |
| | |
| | | | | Rob,
| | | |
| | | | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | | | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | | | | | Thomas,
| | | |
| | | | A variation on a theme:
| | | | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use
FTP
| | only
| | | | on that subweb?
| | | |
| | | | Rob
| | | | | | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready,
| publish
| | | it
| | | | to
| | | | | the remote/live site?
| | | | |
| | | | | --
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP
when
| | you
| | | | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but
| it's
| | | not
| | | | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | | | |
| | | | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then
I
| | | | usually
| | | | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty
subwebs -
| | | which
| | | | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try
to
| | | | publish
| | | | | it...nah.
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | | | |
| | | | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same
| error
| | | | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | | | |
| | | | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to
the
| | | | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | | | |
| | | | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know?
| It's
| | | not
| | | | a
| | | | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | | | |
| | | | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the
| root
| | | | | permissions.
| | | | |
| | | | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
| | CPanel.>
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | --
| | | | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | | | l'acqua è calma
| | | | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|
|

?

okie doke - just wanted to be sure...thanks1

| Just open the root web, then navigate to the subweb, then you can safely upload/download or delete
| files in the subweb, do not use to manage any content in the rootweb.
|
| --
|
|
| | So, what is the threshold for damages...uploading and/or downloading with ftp ... but - browsing is
| ok?
|
|
| | No.
| |
| | --
| |
| |
| | | | ah ok I just assumed the ftp would inherit same passwords. ok.
| |
| | IF I navigated with ftp from the root to the sub would it mess up the root's FPSE...that's my big
| | concern.
| |
| | Tnx,
| |
| | Rob
| |
| | | If you want direct FTP access to the subweb, then your host has to set that up, otherwise you
| open
| | | the root web, then navigate to the subweb with your FTP application
| | |
| | | --
| | |
| | |
| | | | | | I think so, hmmm...sure yes, because I can get to the root web. Maybe I'm just not doing it
| right.
| | | I'm thinking I should enter www.mywebsite.com/subwebname so to get to the subweb without
| damaging
| | | root's fpse. But when ftp connects I'm only in the root, so I disconnect. What am I doing wrong?
| | |
| | |
| | | | | Has your host set up access to the subweb via FTP
| | | |
| | | | --
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | | | | | oh I see - so I'm on the right track here...
| | | |
| | | | I'm having a heck of a time trying to ftp to a subweb - the ftp client is fighting me.
| | (Firezilla)
| | | |
| | | | Probably doesn't help that I haven't used an ftp client in years. Subweb inherited permissions
| | | from
| | | | mama-web and I can open it with FP so that's not the problem.
| | | |
| | | | It's been a long hot day today :)
| | | |
| | | | R.
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | | | | Rob,
| | | | |
| | | | | You can create a subweb, and then use only FTP to access it, just don't use FP with it. The
| | | | | extensions will still be applies, as a subweb is a function of the extensions.
| | | | |
| | | | | --
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | Thomas,
| | | | |
| | | | | A variation on a theme:
| | | | | Can you use the same process if you DONT want FP to use extensions? Say you wanted to use
| FTP
| | | only
| | | | | on that subweb?
| | | | |
| | | | | Rob
| | | | | | | | | What not just create the subweb locally in your current open web, and then when ready,
| | publish
| | | | it
| | | | | to
| | | | | | the remote/live site?
| | | | | |
| | | | | | --
| | | | | | ==============================================
| | | | | | Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | | | | | WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| | | | | |
| | | | | | FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | | | | | ==============================================
| | | | | | To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | | | | | http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | | | I've been told by someone who knows more than I that there is an <known issue> with FP
| when
| | | you
| | | | | | create a subweb from FP's Server menu. I've experienced the problem a couple of times but
| | it's
| | | | not
| | | | | | repeatable. Windows 2003 on host server.
| | | | | |
| | | | | | What happens is this; create subweb through FP Server it creates the empty subweb ok, then
| I
| | | | | usually
| | | | | | publish down the subweb to my local machine - so now i have two matching but empty
| subwebs -
| | | | which
| | | | | | in my mind should be synched but empty. Now create something in the local subweb and try
| to
| | | | | publish
| | | | | | it...nah.
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | | Get an error about Cannot close/open/access frontpg.lck (something to that effect)
| | | | | |
| | | | | | Ok fine lets start over. Delete the Subweb and start again. Nope. FP will give the same
| | error
| | | | | | regarding frontpg.lck.
| | | | | |
| | | | | | Have to get the host to recalculate extensions (why...??..nothing was ever published to
| the
| | | | | | subweb)..and have them delete or fix the permissions on the subweb.
| | | | | |
| | | | | | The thing is that it doesn't happen all the time, and I'm curious as to why? Anyone know?
| | It's
| | | | not
| | | | | a
| | | | | | big deal since I know the procedure now if it happens again.
| | | | | |
| | | | | | btw, I didn't change the permissions for the subweb - I just let it 'try' to inherit the
| | root
| | | | | | permissions.
| | | | | |
| | | | | | <NB: I don't have this problem on unix based hosts because I create the subweb through
| | | CPanel.>
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | | --
| | | | | | Non pensare che non ci siano coccodrilli perché
| | | | | | l'acqua è calma
| | | | | | From: "Crash Gordon"
| | | | | | email: (e-mail address removed)
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
|