Stupid quote of the Day

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Unrepentant cigarette aficionado and Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle says:

"Smokers are nicer people and more friendly. They eat and drink more, and they're more gregarious."

Nicer people? Oh really, most folk who smoke use those nicotine sticks the same way a baby or toddler uses a dummy which will mean they have insecurities. Not to mention they smell and cough a lot in your company.

Mr Flops thinks Mr Liddle is a fool and has made me so cross I'd like to jolly well punch him on the nose :mad:

Reaction score
Mr FBS count to 10, take deep breaths & go have a nice cool Guinness to calm down.
I think the word you were looking for was arse!!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
One day I was walking down the beach with some friends when one of them shouted ...

"Look at that dead bird!"

... Someone looked up at the Sky and said, "Where ?"

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Too cryptic for me Mr Mucks :confused:

Well, judging by the myriad of replies, I guess none of you agree with me, lol

No matter, I suppose I'm a bit daft rising to the bait actually, I mean, just who is this person making such claims? He is a newspaper columnist, that's all, pretty low down the totem pole and I suppose he's making outrageous statements in an effort to get his name on the map.

It's an old ploy and I shouldn't have fallen for it.

As for smoking, smokers keep trying to justify their habit but as far as I can see they have only one argument in their favour and it is:

Smoking is very pleasurable.

And that's it.

Every single other consideration about smoking is a negative.

I am reminded of Eric Clapton's comment when recalling his heroin addiction days which went something like 'What nobody ever mentions when trying to warn people off of taking heroin is that when you do take it you feel absolutely great'.

And therein lies the rub

And for a coda: I'll just say to Mr Liddle, when he's strapped down and looking up at the radiation machine 'You think smoking is good now mister?'

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Unrepentant cigarette aficionado and Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle says:

"Smokers are nicer people and more friendly. They eat and drink more, and they're more gregarious."

Nope. Don't agree with any of that.

Don't see any great differences between the smokers and non-smokers I know except, imo, the smokers tend to eat less. They often eat more when they stop and then put on weight.

Load of tosh. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Smokers don't eat more they eat a lot less as smoking is an excellent appetite inhibitor, every time you get hungry you have a fag and a coffee instead..
Its only when you give up smoking that you get your appetite back and your sense of smell!
They probably do drink more because a fag and a pint go together quite well, I know I never went near a pub for six months when I gave up smoking years ago, all because it would have been to easy to accept a cigarette whilst having a drink at the bar as old habits die hard..

As for the gregarious bit well yeah of course they like company, misery loves company..all smokers have to stick together now because they are not allowed to smoke inside public places, so they will obviously gather together in groups outside and smoke, if thats bigging up being gregarious then they are welcome to it :rolleyes:
As for smokers being nicer people I don't remember any friends or family suddenly giving me the cold shoulder because I had changed and wasn't friendly or nice to them anymore.. what a fool that man sounds..:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I don't know about smokers being nicer people... that's just dumb. Some (though not all) of the smokers I've known have, been selfish, inconsiderate jerks.

I'm probably biased. My late father was a heavy smoker when I was growing up. One of his most obnoxious habits, was to light-up a cigarette at the dinner table, the second he had finished eating. He generally finished before either mum or myself.... The smell of cigarette smoke wafting into our nostrils as we ate, was sooo off-putting.... as was his smoker's cough which accompanied each light-up. Ugh. :(

Tbh, I now loathe to be anywhere near smokers. Even having to cross the areas where they sometimes gather - outside hospital entrances, shops or whatever... yuck! The air is a stinky fug.

So actually, Sir Flopps, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly; except for the one about it being so pleasureable, which is due to lack of experience. I purchased a pack of cigarettes once, (Benson & Hedges if memory serves - the ones in the fancy gold pack...) when I was about 20-ish. I lit one and puffed at it, but couldn't really see the point. It felt really silly to sit there, with this smoldering tube between my fingers. Tried another a while later... same result. Even the activity of lighting the darned thing without causing grevous bodily harm to my nose, made me laugh....so I gave the rest away. That was the sum total of my experimentation into the wonders of smoking. :lol:

Reaction score
Personaly I`ve never ever smoked.I do remember,many,many years ago as a young lad my father asked me if I wanted to try the ciggy he was smoking.I put it to my lips and tried to draw on it,like I saw my dad do!!!!!!..so from that moment to this I have never smoked.
historian

Ask a Question