Windows XP Stupid question Big problem

Reaction score
Hello... well I want to make some questions...

well have problems with mi pc... the last problem and more frustrating is that I try to repair the windows installed (XP Pro) ..the reboot, run setup, repair everything ok ...but when it star copying files ..it say that can copy hid.dll ..ok omit but can't copy another and another..well take a look at the CD and look fine ... try with other CD and the same ... the CD drive have work fine I never have problems to read CD's ..and now 2 CD's have the same problem with the sames files (Whats going on??) ..another thing...take a small HD-disk (1.5 Gb) an try to make a fresh install ...everything ok until it askme to reboot... the setup start and ..it reboot again!!! and start all over again :(

First: Can a virus stop the windows setup install or copy some files?
What can I do to take this files an finish the install repair?
Second: Can a virus make changes in bios and make imposible install a windows or something like that?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, installing to a 1.5 is a little ambitious. :D

I would check your memory and HD for any errors. Memtest is good and the HD manufacturer will have a program that can test the HD out.

Really, we need a bit more information on your PC spec's though. ;)

Reaction score
Ok ...thanks... then you say that a 1.5 HD is not enogh to install XP... may be that is the reason with the little disk ...

mmm ... well is an old AMD Duron 650, 128 ram ... I dont remeber yet the model but is something like MSI ???? ver:1...and a HD of 20gb ... realy old stuf :) ... but I need to work :( and sabe the programs and configuration is the best way to me

well thanks

Reaction score
Got a similar problem with a users home machine here at work.

Basically goes like this:

1) Original HD fooked.
2) Bought new WD HD and get errors when installing XP when copying driver.cab file over.
3) Tried another cd but still had problem.
4) Tried another dvd drive but still the same problem.
5) Finally replaced with another 80gig seagate HD and it all works a treat.

Conclusion fooked new HD.

I would purchase a new HD if I were you.

But why it's looping with the 1.5g HD I'm not sure. But 1.5g is pushing it a bit.

Cheers,

Rich

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
bRuNuShky said:
Ok ...thanks... then you say that a 1.5 HD is not enogh to install XP... may be that is the reason with the little disk ...

mmm ... well is an old AMD Duron 650, 128 ram ... I dont remeber yet the model but is something like MSI ???? ver:1...and a HD of 20gb ... realy old stuf :) ... but I need to work :( and sabe the programs and configuration is the best way to me

well thanks
Nope! you are expecting too much there from that setup ... XP will want more memory than 128, though it has been done your just wasting your time.

Win 98/ME would be fine and actually be quite nippy. ;)

Reaction score
mudfrog said:
- Don't ever tell friends and family you work in IT. You will be hounded.

Rich

^---Man is that the truth.....well I could always sleep in another lifetime! :D

Reaction score
Hello I solve my problem with my pc ... no conclusions about the problem, only format and reinstall and all goes fine.... well about using XP on this machine, I have been run windows xp with 128 on this PC for long time ago, and trust me, work very well ... even betther than win 98 ... there si a real thing ..that you have to tweak your windows confing to work with the minimun of graphcis tricks ..you know things like transparent windows and so ....but it work well for me ... now I have a new PC the old one still there ....but the new one have a new problem :S :p ...it dont want to work with a 4Gb HD that I use to backup my work ...but is a minor problem ...

well thanks for the answers and to pay attention to my problem....

thanks and sorry for my badenglish ... :)

Ask a Question